Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrade Ram  (Read 3679 times)

mopy

Topic Starter

Beginner

Upgrade Ram
    « on: December 08, 2008, 10:18:23 AM »
    Hi
    I Have a Axis 64 Dominator from Evesham.
    I has 1 stick of 512 ram in a green slot and, 1 stick of 512 in a purple slot as supplied.
    I would like to add a kit of 2x1gig making a total of 3gig.
    Please could you advise if this is possible and if so witch modules I should buy.
    I enclose my Everest scan.
    Many thanks Kevin.

[Saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

truenorth

Guru

Re: Upgrade Ram
      « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 02:27:03 PM »
      mopy, Go to crucial.com and run their memory test scan it should confirm what you have,what you can upgrade to,and what type of ram you should buy.You are not obliged to purchase from them or even use their brand.truenorth

mopy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 11:11:16 PM »
        I have allready done this it can not detect my mother board on the scan. doing it manually it do not list my mother board preciously.
        The near one to mine has information on upgrade that I do not understand.
        My mother board is MS7025 V1  K8N NEO 2.
        Many thanks Mopy.

Accessless

Adviser
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 12:48:31 AM »
        Is this your main board? http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia,873-4.html

Hang on now I'm confused. The picture shows 4 RAM slots, where as the manual says 3.

184 pin DDR SDRAM DIMM
        Maximum capacity: 3Gb for DDR 266/333 Or 2Gb for DDR400

There are 3 slight variations on this mother board I would recommend you use System Information for Windows to find out which of the three variations. (it will be under Hardware/motherboard the name should be at the top of the list)

It should say either MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, F or FX

http://www.gtopala.com/download/siw-setup.exe
        « Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:10:58 AM by Accessless »

mopy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 10:37:02 AM »
          Yes this looks like my board.
          I attach info from SIW.
          Mopy

[Saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

Accessless

Adviser
            • Yes
          « Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 11:24:46 AM »
          Did SIW not give you the model of your motherboard? It should have been under the Hardware/motherboard. Well never mind about it for now, The report was useful in a different way. We now know what memory you currently have installed. You may be able to install some newer, faster memory but your system will default the speed to the slowest installed chip.

I.e you currently have RAM at 200Mhz, If you were to install 400Mhz capable RAM then the motherboard would only run it at 200Mhz.

Your current intalled memory should be 2x sticks of DDR 400 (PC3200) 512Mb RAM

Now you can still buy DDR 400 (PC3200) RAM and fairly cheaply as well so don't go wasting money on faster RAM if you don't intend on removing the old sticks already installed. I don't think that you would receive much benefit from using faster RAM and I have lost those specifications so I'll need a minute to work out what memory can be taken by the motherboard.

If you provide what county are you currently residing in then we may be able to give you some recommendations.

Accessless

Adviser
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 11:35:26 AM »
          Hang on the manual for the platinum model says that the board will only take a maximum of 2Gb of DDR 400 (PC3200) RAM

This is unless you have the FX version of the the motherboard (as you have already said that the picture I provided earlier looked right then its a good possibility as the FX version is the only one with 4 RAM expansion slots).

So we'll need you to check SIW again to see if it will give you a model number for that board of yours.
          « Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 11:48:16 AM by Accessless »

mopy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
            Hi
            I am living in the UK, The SIW will reveal no more then already stated.
            You may like to take a look at the Everest report in my first post?.
            This is what is printed on the mother board its self  MS 7025 Ver 1 K8N Neo 2
            Thanks Mopy.

Accessless

Adviser
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 02:52:49 PM »
            Now I'm pretty sure that the FX version of that motherboard is the one that you are using but I think a second opinion would be prudent.

On the plus side if it is the FX version then it opens up a much larger selection of compatible RAM for you.

In the mean time here are some providers with the RAM to match your current components. I would recommend waiting for a second opinion before going out and buying anything.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/592034
            http://www.ebuyer.com/product/63128
            http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?RAM-40/1G

PC World are good for inexperienced buyers and have many local outlets but are the most expensive and have a limited selection.

Novatech (my personal favourite) are not bad price wise and have a very good selection but are for more experienced buyers and only have 2 outlet centres in the country (don't worry tho they deliver all over the UK)

Ebuyer are undoubtedly the cheapest and also have a large selection but have no outlet centres and I always question stuff that’s too cheap (never buy power supplies for £5, it’s not worth it).
            « Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 03:29:53 PM by Accessless »

Accessless

Adviser
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 03:39:15 PM »
            Broni, Carbon Dudeoxide, Patio, someone to cast an opinion?