Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Webcam problem  (Read 2218 times)

joshizzle3

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

HP Webcam problem
    « on: December 07, 2008, 12:05:10 AM »
    This is my first post here- sorry if I'm doing it wrong

I have an HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop. I've had it for about a year, and it seems that every month, the webcam would break more.
    I saw that many people were having similar issues, so I tried some of their ideas.
    Often, the webcam wouldn't show up as a device, so I installed a different driver, and that worked for a while. Then when that didn't work, I would have to adjust the position of the screen (right by the built in laptop) then the webcam would work, but only in that position. Then it got to a point where I always had to restart for it to show up as a device and work.
    But now, no matter what I do, no program will recognize it, and it doesn't come up in device manager.
    I tried downloading a new driver, but that didn't work. I think it's a hardware problem, so I posted it here.
    Thanks! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: HP Webcam problem
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 12:22:30 AM »
    It sounds like the physical connection between the webcam and the computer is damaged.
    Unfortunately we can't really do anything.

If you have had experience opening up laptop screens, I would open it up and see if anything can be done.
    If you don't have any experience, don't attempt this or risk damaging the laptop further.

If the laptop is under warranty, you can get it fixed for free by the manufacturer.
    You can still give it to them if your warranty has expired, but it may cost a lot.

joshizzle3

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 12:26:33 AM »
      It sounds like the physical connection between the webcam and the computer is damaged.
      Unfortunately we can't really do anything.

If you have had experience opening up laptop screens, I would open it up and see if anything can be done.
      If you don't have any experience, don't attempt this or risk damaging the laptop further.

If the laptop is under warranty, you can get it fixed for free by the manufacturer.
      You can still give it to them if your warranty has expired, but it may cost a lot.

that's what i was afraid of...
      I do indeed still have it under warranty. I just have to find the papers. Thanks!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 12:33:58 AM »
      All the best!

joshizzle3

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 12:43:28 AM »
        Okay I found my papers for the computer. Warranty is still fine and all, just one problem:

I bought the computer at CompUSA. They're now out of business. Maybe I should move this to a different section, but does anyone know if any companies are like accepting CompUSA warrantied products?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 12:58:14 AM »
        They went bankrupt?

I read a few pages online and it appears CompUSA still exists, but just barely.
        It also says they handed their warranty over to another company? Not sure.

Is there any contact number on the papers or receipt?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 08:46:37 AM »
        Tiger Direct supposedly gobbled up a ton of their Inventory and whatever online business they were doing.
        You may have to deal directly with the manuf. and explain the situation...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "