Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: digital to analog connection  (Read 4927 times)

zamjohn

digital to analog connection
« on: December 16, 2008, 07:30:53 PM »
I have been wondering whether there is a way to connect HDMI or DVI computer outputs to an analog television which has both RCA video and audio and s-video inputs. Thanks!  zamjohn

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: digital to analog connection
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:23:41 PM »
Before I start looking, I have to ask: what for?

Dead_reckon

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 01:22:24 PM »
The simplest way to connect your computer to a Television is most commonly a S-Video output on your video card, there are adapters to convert S-Video into a yellow (video) RCA jack. As for converting VGA or DVI to a composite port, I dunno.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:05:48 PM »
I asked what for, because analog TV will give you pretty bad picture.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 03:10:48 PM »
Nah, I run my ole 19" zenith concierge with a home made S-video to composite adapter and it looks great.. Aside from the magnetic spot on my TV..

this was the setup I had at my fathers house with the home made S-video adapter:

That was just before i got my logitech keyboard, I pulled that beat up blue thing out of the scrap bin when I worked at PC city.

EDIT: The TV and one of the monitors (Think the far right one) where running off of an old nVidia MX4000 64MB 32b PCI GPU, the middle one and one on the left where both on my 256mb 128b nVidia 7600GT PCI-E x16 GPU. I still have the gig of RAM and CPU from that machine. There in my current desktop, hard drive too. I haven't had money to upgrade for several years.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 10:12:04 PM »
Broni's on to something ....going from digital to analog however it's done doesn't make sense.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

zamjohn

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 08:35:34 AM »
I have the same reason for asking this question. Can't afford a new digital TV. I purchased a new Sony TV 4 years ago never thinking digital would be in my picture. Hence the reason for trying to convert digital to analog. The Sony has S-video and composite video but my new computer has neither as that is a thing of the past for computer manufacturers. I have just discovered though, that one can purchase video processors that will do the conversion but it isn't cheap. I have my computer system integrated with my big sound system and would have liked to use the Sony for the sake of monitor size and  keep everything together. Maybe eventually.