Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Modem Drops Out  (Read 2330 times)

Starwind51

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• I have 5 points and I love to flash
    Modem Drops Out
    « on: December 12, 2008, 08:18:02 PM »
    My DSL modem frequently drops out.  I'm not sure if this happens when I change pages or if I only notice it when I change pages.  The phone company that provides the modem insists I need to reboot it.  How can I determine if it's them that needs a boot or if I need another modem?  I don't have another modem to switch it with.  Other people where I live have similiar problems, but with various phone companies.  People who have cable internet also have problems, with various cable companies.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Modem Drops Out
    « Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 09:44:05 PM »
    Make sure you have a DSL line filter on every phone line in the house whether you use it or not...
    Your local PC shop will have about a million of them and will probably give you a handful for 5 Bucks.

The Speedstream modems heat up pretty fast so move it away from any heat sources if you can.

If after doing these steps the symptoms still are there demand a new modem from your provider ...tell them you may switch your service.
    This usually leads to a high motivation factor on their end.
    You can also request a line test which they run from their location that can tell you the condition of the phone lines in your area...
    Where i am everything up to the outside of the structure is their responsibility and everything inside is yours.
    Check your service agreement...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Starwind51

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• I have 5 points and I love to flash
      « Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 04:22:48 PM »
      DSL line filter on every phone ... modems move away from any heat sources...

... demand a new modem from your provider... request a line test ...

I already had the filters in place and the modem has free air circulation away from heat.  They did a line test in the past, and I think I'm still within the 1 year agreement to keep their service.  The only thing left to do is demand a new modem, or no renewal of service.

Aiming4Autonomy

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 07:33:26 PM »
        Sounds like I've got the same problem.  I frequently have to reset my modem on account that it just stops feeding an internet connection.  My computer will still recognize a connection to the modem and the modem will still have an internet connection, but somewhere in between, I lose internet access.

It seems to be spontaneous when it cuts out.  Some days I can go without resetting, but I've had worse case scenarios where I've had to turn the modem off and on as many as twelve times throughout the day.  Every time I turn it back on, it starts working again.  I didn't have this problem with my last modem (it presented other problems), so I assume it's just the hardware in question; that is, if any of this relates to what you're going through.