Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: locked out of 2000  (Read 4885 times)

mnkypprs

Topic Starter

Beginner

locked out of 2000
    « on: December 29, 2008, 10:09:02 PM »
    i had username and password saved on 2000 professional, to log into windows. I would just hit enter. I installed my ISPs virus program, restarted, and it deleted the username and pw, which i dont remember because i had them saved. now i cant get past that screen

any help? retrieving? deleting? etc?

thanks   :P

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: locked out of 2000
    « Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 10:37:16 PM »
    I see...
    An antivirus program that removed your saved password information for Windows.
    Thats a new one.

We have no way of verifying if the computer is yours, and thus, we can not help you with removing passwords, recovering passwords, etc.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:50:47 AM »
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

mnkypprs

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 09:52:58 AM »
      Well it IS true. The ISP set up program, along with a security suite caused, after restart, my username and pw to be taken out of the fields.

I don't appreciate sarcasm, and a "moderator" accusing me of anything illegal.

If you couldn't help, then dont reply with your negativity. Just don't reply at all.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:09:02 PM »
      how do you "save" a password in windows 2000? doesn't that kind of defeat the entire purpose of the log-on password?

Or was this a tweakUI/autologon setup?

Well it IS true. The ISP set up program, along with a security suite caused, after restart, my username and pw to be taken out of the fields.

I'm still curious as to "what" fields- was this the windows 2000 login dialog? because WINLOGON never populates the password combo under any circumstances (if it did, that would defeat the entire purpose of a password). (although in specific cases where no password exists or TweakUI was set to log-on automatically it will do so)

Unless of course this isn't the logon dialog, but perhaps another logon dialog, say, for logging onto the internet. This would make a lot of sense, since the ISP setup program would replace them. If this is the case, a quick call to your ISP with your billing information, and they should give you that information.

If this IS the windows 2000 dialog, (which as stated before is only possible in certain circumstances where a PW was not set at all or tweakui was configured to start the machine automatically (in which case it should be consulted)).

If somehow, by some w2k logon dialog was actually set to workaround security and populate the password box without user intervention, and that information is forgotten and it is no longer populated...

There is no way to retrieve the password. any mechanism for doing so would complete nullify any purpose for the password to have been set in the first place.

there might be a way for you to logon, however; if the administrator account has no password (which if I recall correctly, is the default), you should be able to place "administrator" in the user name box and leave the password field blank, and press OK.

This should allow you to recreate a new account.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.