Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disc space and defrag problems  (Read 6362 times)

rpdandy

Topic Starter

Starter

Disc space and defrag problems
    « on: December 18, 2008, 01:41:05 PM »
    I need to free up more space on my hard drive. I am running a Dell Dimension 8200, Windows XP service pack 2,pentium4 1.8ghz,256 megs of RAM.
    I have run disc cleanup on all the accounts and have run defrag and still have only 19% free space. The files are badly fragmented. I have put all documents on CD and deleted them from my hard drive and have done the same with most photos. I have also removed several programs that I do not use anymore.
    After running defrag the report lists 30 files that cannot be defragmented.They are of course of varying fragment and file sizes. The majority of these files are "\Program files\ Common Files\Symantec Shared\ VirusDefs\" etc. What can I do to free up more space and get these files defragged or removed? I have so little space I can't even get my updates anymore not to mention that is is slowing the computer down. I have just replaced the power supply and the CD Rom drive and I would like to be able to install the software but am afraid I have too little space to do so.
    Can any one help me PLZ?!?!?!?

Gakkles-3

Rookie
      Re: Disc space and defrag problems
      « Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 02:30:40 PM »
      Hi, Mr. Dandy,

You don't have a big powerful machine. Your 256 MB of RAM is really minimal. So you are not a great candidate for running Norton Anti-Virus on that machine. Now, this is never going to be an item that will get 100% agreement, but in my humble opinion, you should

(1) Go to FileHippo and download AVG Free. Don't install it. Just download the file to your desktop (or wherever) for now.
      (1a) While you're at it, download CCleaner from FileHippo, and just sit it on your desktop too.
      (1b) While you're at it, download Ad-Aware from FileHippo, and just sit it on your desktop too.

(2) Use Add or Remove Programs to get rid of Norton (Symantec and Norton are the same thing). You might have two of their files on Add or Remove, and you will be told if you get the removal sequence wrong. Anyway, I'd take them, or it, off. Take off everything, including all the bad guys they might mention.

As soon as you've dumped Norton, put on AVG.
      —Then get AVG to do an update, immediately.

Welcome to the world of freeware. Is AVG, which is free, not as good as Symantec? Well, quite a few people think AVG is actually better. The internet works in mysterious ways.

Okay, install those other two programs and run them too. (Run CCleaner every day, especially after long internet sessions.)

You can also right-click My Computer onto your (C) Drive (so you get a diagram showing your disk usage), and go for
      >Properties >Disk Cleanup, but notice >More Options, where you can choose to kill every System Restore Point except your last one.

Now: clean up your system and see what it looks like. It will run faster, too.

And, lastly—be careful, here—you can also use a registry cleaning app, and for your XP I recommend RegSeeker 1.55 from Hover Desk or Major Geeks or SnapFiles. Now, please listen: There are numerous registry cleaners. I've used RegSeeker thousands of times on XP (32-bit XP, like yours, only—it wipes out 64-bit XP). But registry cleaners wipe out files in your registry, so they are use-at-your-own-risk programs. On a dirty machine, RegSeeker will take out more than 1,000 files. You might have to run it three or four times to get it down to taking out only a dozen or so.

—So, will your computer even start after that? Well, it is not absolutely for sure that it will. It should. Mine always have. But it's your call. Once you're in the clear, then RegSeeker will typically take out maybe a dozen files if you use it about once a week.

There you go. Have fun with your system. You want it lean and mean.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 10:11:44 PM »
      1. Do NOT run any registry cleaner, under any circumstances. It won't speed up your computer, but there is a good chance, it'll mess it up.
      2. Defrag doesn't create more space. It just put files pieces together, so the computer can access them quickly. Running defrag is always a good idea, though. Some files won't be defragged, and it's normal.
      3. Getting rid of Norton is a good idea. If you want go for it, use Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039, instead of Add\Remove.
      4. Don't replace Norton with AVG 8.0, which has been having problems. Try ONE of these:

- Avast! free antivirus: http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/
      - Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/en/download/index.html

- free Comodo Internet Security (firewall + AV): http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

If you decide to install Avast, or Avira, make sure, Windows firewall is turned on.
      If you decide to install Comodo, make sure, Windows firewall is turned off.

5. You need more RAM. XP will run much better with 512MB of RAM, and even better yet with 1GB of RAM.
      6. You simply may need bigger hard drive.

Aztec

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 02:42:56 AM »
        (1) Please do upgrade your RAM. 256 MB is really pushing it. Try to install atleast 1 GB, as that is the baseline these days.

(2) Uninstall Norton. Try Avast or AVG 8 Free. (I've had problems with Avira before, so I can't recommend it).

(3) Run disk cleanup. Right click the drive in My Computer, select Properties followed by Tools. You'll then see the button for disk cleanup. Delete the types of files you dont need. You can also run Ccleaner, but the in-built windows disk cleanup is the safest of all.

(4) You can also delete older system restore points you dont need.

(5) Grab the free trial version of Diskeeper 2009 from the Diskeeper site. Install it and set it to automatic defrag. Since the Diskeeper trial version is actually a time limited fully functional version, it works just as good the original. It will defrag properly even with less than 10% free space and with fragmented system files. Run a boot-time defrag if required. The Windows defragger will not work properly in low space conditions.

Hope this helps to fix the problem.

Gakkles-3

Rookie
          « Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 10:59:52 AM »
          Poor Norton. Three replies, each one different.

The only point in which they agree is: dump Norton. Oh dear.  ;D

rpdandy

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 08:48:12 PM »
            Thanks for the info! It seems to be clear that I don't have enough RAM and that the Security package I have with my ISP is insufficient to say the least. I have had problems with Norton before and discontinued it with some difficulty. Norton was part of the programs that were installed on my computer when it was delivered. I tried to get rid of it later and It was like the program was superglued into my system. Now it is what my ISP offers with it's package deal.
            RAM is directly related to my memory if I am not mistaken. I have been told that the only way to add memory to this machine affordably is to go to EBay and buy a dead machine with memory sticks,etc. intact.
            It seems that the more I learn about computers the more I realize how little I know. It sucks!!!!!!
            When I bought this thing everyone told me 256MB of RAM would be all I would ever need. What has happened since 2002 to change all that? I need a GURU!!!!!!!!!

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 09:16:07 PM »
            From our Archives

Make sure you are not running Ghost as your backup program before proceeding.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 09:21:58 PM »
            But registry cleaners wipe out files in your registry, so they are use-at-your-own-risk programs. On a dirty machine, RegSeeker will take out more than 1,000 files. You might have to run it three or four times to get it down to taking out only a dozen or so.

Registry cleaners should NOT delete ANY files.

the registry is composed of two files. SYSTEM.DAT and NTUSER.DAT, (with others loaded if "switch users" functionality is enabled)

each Hive is stored in a separate file- there are really only two hives, HKEY_USERS and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is just a reference to keys elsewhere in the registry, be them in the system or user hives).

HKEY_CURRENT_USER, of course, is just another alias to the HKEY_USERS key that holds the current users registry data.

registry cleaners work by deleted what they deem to be unused registry entries. the problem lies in determining just what an "unused entry" or obsolete entry is. most will scan the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT alias for references to COM objects whose executables no longer exist, and delete those entries.

the same steps are taken with other entries; (non-existent files, executables, etc).

each entry is not a file or folder, of course- there are registry keys and registry values. registry keys can hold any number of other keys and values as well as a default value (which shows up in the values pane).

As an example- take ProgID lookup for object names such as "Word.Application".

First, the Com Loader needs to get the CLSID of the concrete class to instantiate. to do so, it searches for Word.Application as a key under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (which we've already established as an alias to elsewhere in the registry). finding this, it retrieves the CLSID, and performs a similar lookup, and looks inside and sees the InProcServer32 (or other COM key) and finds the path to the DLL/EXE, which it subsequently loads and uses.

If anything along this line is messed up due to some hueristical bug in the registry cleaner- for example, if it references a DLL file name that it deems "invalid" because it doesn't end with EXE,OCX, or DLL... then the entire Component will not load. Word would still start, and re-add the appropriate entries; but  any attempt to automate word via OLE would fail miserably.

For Me; I'll use a registry cleaner, but only because every single time I compile one of my components, VB6 insists on making a NEW set of COM keys; they inEvitably become obsolete, when I abort the project or erase the DLL or move it, or whatnot.

Thanks for the info! It seems to be clear that I don't have enough RAM and that the Security package I have with my ISP is insufficient to say the least. I have had problems with Norton before and discontinued it with some difficulty. Norton was part of the programs that were installed on my computer when it was delivered. I tried to get rid of it later and It was like the program was superglued into my system. Now it is what my ISP offers with it's package deal.
            RAM is directly related to my memory if I am not mistaken. I have been told that the only way to add memory to this machine affordably is to go to EBay and buy a dead machine with memory sticks,etc. intact.

When I bought this thing everyone told me 256MB of RAM would be all I would ever need.

That's true- with 256MB you could get by quite well. I got by with a scant 128MB for almost a year myself.

I have been told that the only way to add memory to this machine affordably is to go to EBay and buy a dead machine with memory sticks,etc. intact.

I have a Dell dimension 4400 with a 1.6Ghz processor, likely older then your machine; I upgraded from the 512 that was installed to 1GB when I got it with a simple visit to my local london drugs. best price? probably not. Affordable? yes.

I also have a recently purchased laptop, and toshiba decided to place Norton on that as well. needless to say that was the first thing to go...
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Kraków my love :)
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 09:30:36 PM »
            1. The only way to get rid of Norton, fully, is to use Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039, instead of Add\Remove.
            2. Never buy used RAM.
            3. According to www.crucial.com: http://crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension%208200%20Series%20(400MHz%20FSB), your computer can take up to 2GB of RAM, but crucial doesn't have it, and it must be installed in pairs (now, you have 2x128MB=256MB installed)
            I found another place, but it's not cheap.
            - http://www.memorystock.com/DellDimension8200400MHzFSB-512MBKit-Memory-RAM.html - 2x256MB=512MB (sufficient for XP) @ $65
            - http://www.memorystock.com/DellDimension8200400MHzFSB-1GBKit-RAMBUS-Memory-RAM.html - 2x512MB=1GB (great for XP) @ ~$200 (out of question)
            4. Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=ide+hard+drive, you can get 250-500GB IDE hard drive for $50-$70
            5. All together, you can get your computer back to decency for about $120.
            6. On the other hand, you can get brand new computer, like this one: http://shop3.frys.com/product/5723792#detailed for $400:
                * Model Number: Lenovo H3424U
                * CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200
                * Memory: 2GB PC2-5300
                * Video: Integrated Intel GMA3100
                * Hard Drive: 500GB, SATA II, 7200rpm
                * Optical Drive: DVDRW DL RAM/ Drive
                * Network: 10/100 Ethernet network
                * Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
                * Warranty: 1 year limited warranty

Gakkles-3

Rookie
              « Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 05:32:20 AM »
              I disagree with you again, Broni.  ;)  I have been the owner of computers like that, and I have friends who have them too. The idea is not to spend $120, and not to buy a new computer. Not for the time being, at least.

The idea is this: "I need to free up more space on my hard drive." That was the question, and those are the parameters. The power supply and the CD—the CD, note; not the DVD—have just been replaced. Now, if we refrain from saying, "oh, he probably means. . . ." and we simply accept that the CD-R has been replaced [with a CD-RW, because things were subsequently burned], then those are the con$traints.

Some of us walk for miles and miles, because buses are too expensive. It's healthy to walk, anyway. Keeps you young.   ;D

soybean

Genius
              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
              « Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 02:25:52 PM »
              I need to free up more space on my hard drive. I am running a Dell Dimension 8200, Windows XP service pack 2,pentium4 1.8ghz,256 megs of RAM.
              What about hard drive size?  Have you analyzed the major areas (programs, music, photos, etc.) of drive space consumption?

Is your hard drive all in one partition or divided into multiple partitions?

rpdandy

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 01:04:16 PM »
                I disagree with you again, Broni.  ;)  I have been the owner of computers like that, and I have friends who have them too. The idea is not to spend $120, and not to buy a new computer. Not for the time being, at least.

The idea is this: "I need to free up more space on my hard drive." That was the question, and those are the parameters. The power supply and the CD—the CD, note; not the DVD—have just been replaced. Now, if we refrain from saying, "oh, he probably means. . . ." and we simply accept that the CD-R has been replaced [with a CD-RW, because things were subsequently burned], then those are the con$traints.

Some of us walk for miles and miles, because buses are too expensive. It's healthy to walk, anyway. Keeps you young.   ;D
                I replaced my power supply and my CD which also had DVD which came with mth computer when I ordered it from Dell. I replaced it with a Samsung DVD writer with lightscribe.