Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual boot: Vista/Ubuntu can't find modem  (Read 6278 times)

copas

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Dual boot: Vista/Ubuntu can't find modem
« on: December 22, 2008, 08:10:23 AM »
I have what seems a typical set up. I have two hard drives with Vista on a 500 gig and Ubuntu on an 80 gig.
Everything working but: When I boot Ubuntu I get some message about the file system needing attention. I am not sure just how to proceed on this. Before I installed Ubuntu I reformatted the 80 gig drive and installed Ubuntu from a CD. It goes ahead and boots OK (I think) but It can't find my modem. (Network Settings box is missing the modem.)

I have read a little something about investigating the modem software and downloading scanmodem but it seems horrendously complicated (since I am accustomed to Windows click and play) I guess my question is: Is there a painless way to get my Ubuntu to recognize my modem without me understanding all this. Or is that what Ubuntu is all about?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Copas
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:59:14 PM by copas »

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
    • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Dual boot: Visa/Ubuntu can't find modem
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 08:22:58 AM »
What version of ubuntu did you install? And could you post your specs especially your modem and we could try googling for that.  ;D

You could also try to visit ubuntuforums.org and search the site for solutions.
"Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
--Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

Dias de verano

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:39:29 AM »
Or is that what Ubuntu is all about?

That is what Linux is about.

copas

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 04:04:39 PM »
Hi. Thanks for your kind response.
The disc says: Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS. My machine is a desktop running Vista Ultimate. The modem is plugged into a PCI slot but that's all I know about it. It works OK with Windows. Does it require configured differently for Ubuntu?
Ubuntu seems to ignore it completely, is that because it's configured incorrectly? Will changing it cause it not to work in windows? Do I need another modem?

Dias de verano

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 01:47:53 AM »
I have read a little something about investigating the modem software and downloading scanmodem but it seems horrendously complicated (since I am accustomed to Windows click and play)

If it is "horrendously complicated" then you should stay with Windows. The Linux philosophy is not for you.

I guess my question is: Is there a painless way to get my Ubuntu to recognize my modem without me understanding all this. Or is that what Ubuntu is all about?

No, there isn't a "painless way". Linux is not Windows.

Why don't you just use Scanmodem?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:04:22 AM by Dias de verano »

copas

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Yes
Re: Dual boot: Vista/Ubuntu can't find modem
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 03:19:11 PM »
Progress?
I reformatted the drive with Ubuntu. I tried to reinstall from the live CD. it kept telling me the 'boot loader' was not working. However Ubuntu installed inside Vista on my C drive. However I can't open Ubantu from Windowa and when I try to boot it I get the message the file is unrecgonizable. Vista still will boot, ( a miracle) I do have a few questions,

Is my CD with Ubuntu gone bad?

How does one assure themselves that Ubuntu is installed on E: drive?

Don't get the impression I'm not having fun.

Merry Christmas

Dias de verano

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 03:24:28 PM »
However Ubuntu installed inside Vista on my C drive.

That sounds bad.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 11:26:59 PM »
You cannot access ubuntu or linux filesystem using windows. I think what you mean by boot lader is the grub boot loader. Here is what Ive found on their forums: fix dual boot vista
"Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
--Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

copas

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 07:26:20 PM »
Thank you for your response.
I have persisted and with the good advice garnered here I have:
Managed to recover from most of my former errors. (I'm ready to make new ones.)

I removed Ubnutu from drive C (Inside Windows)
Reformatted drive E. (A separate physical disc.)
The live Ubuntu disc has lost it's ability to self boot so I installed it manually from drive D. It seemed to go well but took longer than I thought it should and asked for an internet connection. (Are they supposed to do that?) It did give me the choice of discs upon which to install it. This pleased me.
When I attempted to boot Ubuntu I got a list of errors. About 15 but since I don't know how to take a screen shot I can't show you.
Vista would still boot so I looked on drive E and it seemed have Ubantu there. So I installed it again right over it's self. This install went well (I thought) and terminated normally. Again I felt good about it.
I booted Ubuntu and it opened smoothly and seemed to be working. I do have some questions.

When the machine boots I now have two Ubuntus to choose from. Do you know how to get rid of one? There is only one copy on the machine according to disc manager.

I haven't delved into my modem as yet but did find the box it came in and the little piece of paper (some of it in English)
 that I could use to attempt to configure the connection in Ubuntu. Haven't gotten it to work as yet but have some hope now. Computer hope.

When I open Ubuntu I get a message saying the FAT on drive E needs repaired. I looked at the link you provided and it seems to be getting close to my situation. I'll have to wait until I'm well rested to work on that. I guess that's not a question is it... My Ununtu disc jacket says something about it's ability to convert file types upon installation. Should I ask about that...?

Reading many posts on this forum and others it seems to me that many are having similar experiences with UNIX as I have.
Maybe Mr Gates has spoiled us and we have gotten too lazy to think about just where all the semicolons and curly brackets should go. Some of us simply get a lot of delight out of complicating things...I think.

Thanks again for trying to help me and let us have a,
Merry Christmas.
Ivan Copas

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 11:20:26 PM »
Does your ubuntu boot from either the two ubuntu's that is displayed on your grub boot loader? Or one of those says recovery mode?
--Kuya Daniel Razon

copas

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 06:27:22 AM »
Hello.
My machine is working pretty well. It will boot to either Vista or Ubuntu. I still have the choice of two Ubuntus on boot and either one will take me to it. I see that pressing F10 on boot will take me to a boot option screen but I haven't tried to understand that as yet.
I have been able to investigate my modem and have the information to configure the terminal and network screens.
However I have been stymied by the two mentioned screens refusal to accept several parameters. That's just my lack of education I guess.
All the bits and pieces of ubuntu seem to work that I have otherwise tried. I think the fact that I use dial up complicates the process.
I will continue to read the posts and the help that is a part of ubuntu and...
Thank you for your good advice,
Ivan Copas
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 01:21:18 PM by copas »