Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233  (Read 7107 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233
    « on: January 11, 2009, 10:26:01 AM »
    I have been putting up with an issue with the above program for a few months now and have learned to live with it.However in a desire to have the program work as it should i am seeking a solution to what is happening. Which is the following: I have a media news page as my home page.Whenever i desire to go to a link within the page i must right click on the link and select "open in a new window". Otherwise the page will never open and i get the usual window indicating could not connect and all the options contained therein.This phenomenon has only occurred within the past 2-3 months and only occurs on this one computer. Sony Vaio desktop O/S Xp pro sp2.I do not have Norton or Mcafee on this computer. I do not want the solution to be "install Firefox". I have had issues with Firefox in the past (particularly when used on the same computer that has a version of IE. on it). I do use Opera on another computer (which i am very satisfied with) but have no desire to put it on the Sony.I would much prefer to solve the IE problem.I have been tempted to upgrade IE 6 to IE 7 but have heard some adverse comments re IE 7. Suggestions please.truenorth

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233
    « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
    Well, there isn't anything wrong with IE7, in my opinion.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:32:04 AM »
      kpac,thanks for your comment--reassuring --if i must go that route. However i am concerned that this particular issue will not necessarily be resolved by merely upgrading. I suspect that this issue has less to do with IE version and more to do with some conflict with IE and "something" else.Just a suspicion--no facts. If so then upgrading may not put me any further ahead. Unless there is a known problem with IE 6 that has been resolved in IE 7. I am not aware of any such problem though. truenorth

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 11:34:16 AM »
      Why don't you try IE7, just to see, if the same problem exist?
      You can always go back to IE6.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 01:01:28 PM »
        Broni, OK when the oracles speak us mere mortals should listen.I'll give it a go.One big advantage will be that it will get Bill off my back trying to get me to upgrade everyday. ;D I did not think that once upgraded one could go back.I know many programs will permit that but i felt that Microsoft would not let you. Will report when tested. Thanks guys,truenorth

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 04:48:43 PM »
          Preliminary results when using IE 7 indicate no change from previous concerns with IE 6. It is indeed a conundrum as as was the case with IE 6 the links that continue to cause the situation are in the same physical area of the web page. Whereas many of the other links such as to the TV guide and many other links do respond quickly and completely. However only by going to open in new window (new tab--a feature of IE 7 doesn't do it either) seems to return a quick opening of the link. Ah well! truenorth

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 08:25:05 AM »
            Sometimes you just wish that you had followed your best instincts.I am now starting to "enjoy" some of the features of IE 7 such as the lack of link ability to hotmail (something i used all the time). http://news.softpedia.com/news/Internet-Explorer-7-Kills-Outlook-Hotmail-Integration-38860.shtml I am sure there are other "surprises waiting in the weeds as well. I am going to go way out on a limb here and suggest an association which i suspect is at the basis of the problem i 1st identified.I suspect that it is something that was recently instituted by a microsoft update (don't know which one) that is interacting with my virus protection (in my case Avira free).Don't haul me in to court and try and prove it.However given my instincts re the upgrade to IE 7 and what has transpired i feel my gut feelings have some merit. Not very scientific i know.truenorth