Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to set up wireless connection correctly on Vista pc  (Read 2898 times)

robin2006

Topic Starter

Beginner
    How to set up wireless connection correctly on Vista pc
    « on: December 28, 2008, 09:37:26 AM »
    Hi

I have a Toshiba laptop - it does not recognize or identify wireless connections at all. WHen I go to "Connect" - Windows says there are no additional networks .. My friend visits me often and her computer (XP) is able to identify wireless connections in my building right away...what should I do to get my computer to do that...I have just set up the Linksys wireless router and I can't find it at all on the system. My computer is connected to one network that is when my cable wire is connecting from the modem to my laptop. When I disable it and then connect the cable from the modem to the router, etc as per instructions from the Linksys manual....i was not able to find the internet connection. How do i fix this problems?

In Vista, do i need to set up another network for the wireless router? how do i do that? thanks for any information i can get.

:)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: How to set up wireless connection correctly on Vista pc
    « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 10:24:19 AM »
    does the laptop havea wireless adapter? Is it properly installed?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

robin2006

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 01:02:55 PM »
      Hi

I don't think so....I have a Toshiba laptop ..it says to press Fn F8 to turn it ON..I did but the light was not on.....i tried to call Toshiba support ..they are closed for the holidays....I went to update the driver (wireless Realtek network adapter)but it failed to solve my problem. My computer is still not able to detect wireless netework ...If I buy a wireless adapter, will it work?

thanks

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 01:06:14 PM »
      if you have a wireless driver properly installed, there is likely a wireless adapter built-in.

Have you set up the router using it's setup pages (by accessing it's IP through IE while connected via a wired connection?)
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.