Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with staying connected wireless while gaming  (Read 3617 times)

wingeddeath243

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Problems with staying connected wireless while gaming
    « on: January 01, 2009, 06:36:55 PM »
    Hi, I'm having a very annoying problem with gaming. Right now I play Final fantasy 11 online and i meet all the specs for it if not a little more. I have a time warner cable modem , which is probably about 1 -2 yrs old , and i'm using a belkin G + mimo router. For a wireless pickup i'm using a linksys adapter which plugs in with a usb cord. Its the Wusb54G one. I also am using a PS3 which i currently have connected wirelessly to the same router. Well before I got the new belkin router I had a linksys router which crapped out on me. I started having issues with that router with connection and it was getting really bad so a friend of mine said it was the router. He said every time he changed the settings for the actual internet itself it would go back to the default settings. As of right now i'm getting the same disconnecting problem but definitely not as bad as before. It's still annoying and it seems like theres some sort of interruption in the signal of the internet since it takes me a little bit to disconnect. We're not sure if its the ps3 or if its my wireless pick up that i have right now. Our internet is on Channel 2 and i've read that its a bad channel for wireless since it can interrupt your signal. I was wondering what i can do to fix this problem because it gets really frustrating to be connected and disconnected every 5-10 minutes. it seems to happen more when i'm playing online than if i'm just browsing the web. I even connected the ethernet cord straight from my computer tower into the belkin router with the same problem. I really don't want to waste money on a new wireless router or adapter. I also dont have any of the equipment that far apart...probably 10 feet at most. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!!!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Problems with staying connected wireless while gaming
    « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 11:45:36 PM »
    Quick Question, what is the signal strength when connected?

When it disconnects, does it reconnect itself?

wingeddeath243

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 08:45:03 AM »
      sent you a message too and still having the same issue....it really only seems to happen when i'm playing final fantasy online...and its not really doing it now that i have an ethernet cable right into the router. I just dont understand why its just when i'm using my game that it keeps disconnecting...its almost like its every 30 minutes or so or sometimes every 5...its just really annoying and i dont know what to do :(

wingeddeath243

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 08:58:05 AM »
        Oh and i'm also using trend micro internet, its set at medium for web browsing stuff and i had a pop up window a while back when i installed asking me if it was ok to run ffxi so it asked me yes or no and i clicked yes. I also found someone else on a different forum website that looks like they're having the same problem as me. I'm just trying to give as much info as possible. At this point since i havent really disconnected all night from how i set my computer up now...so web interference is the only thing i can think of....And if you didnt get my message: Its still connected it just seems like theres too much using the internet. Cuz when my fiance was using youtube on the ps3 andi was on my game, i saw youtube having trouble loading a page after a while and then all of a sudden i dced. but even if the ps3 isnt on i still have the same problem. Its not that the internet even disconnects for me... ffxi just stops working and it takes me forever to get booted off. When i'm playing i can stilll see text in the game and i can still do a couple other things then all of a sudden i cant and i start to disconnect. i'm usually only on it for 30 minutes and after that it disconnects...
        Sorry for the novel of a description but its just getting so annoying...

wingeddeath243

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 07:18:52 PM »
          stays around 54 mbps and sorry about the message. I didnt know i was logged out of here. But yea, i just bought another router and i tried hooking the two routers up and i still get the same problem. So now we have a linksys and belkin router hooked up together. i'm gonna be trying to see how things work without the belkin router plugged in and hopefully that works.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 12:01:06 AM »
          You said when you're plugged in using a cable, you have no problems?

By signal strength, I mean how many bars are there.

wingeddeath243

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 08:03:47 AM »
            Ok well i was using an ethernet cable going right into the belkin router. Sadly my game wasnt working but my internet was. I wasnt having any disconnection problems with the net at all. I had full bars everything was normal. I just went out to best buy yesterday and picked up a Linksys router. Those have worked well for me before and i've never had this disconnecting issue with them. I even talked to geek squad and someone from best buy who told me its the router. Well right now i have both the linksys and belkin routers hooked up together but i took out the cord connecting my computer to the belkin router. I'm using my Linksys wireless pickup to get the internet from the linksys wireless router. It was working ok for longer periods of time but i do need to test it without the two routers together. I'm assuming having the two routers together could be problematic. Also the channel for linksys is 6 and the channel for the belkin is 3, i do wanna change the channel on the linksys but i might wait till a friend of mine can come over and do it. I'm  not as familiar with messing around with the linksys. Basically my internet worked ok plugged in but my online game still disconnected. The guy at best buy said his son had the same problem and they just changed out the routers and it was fine. So right now i'm taking out the belkin router and see if that fixes stuff. if that doesnt then idk. Thats the last effort i have.

wingeddeath243

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 12:19:29 PM »
              I guess nvm then, Figured out my problem myself -.- Its just my router. i needed to buy a completely different router and only have that one run seperately.