Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to create a new Drive C:  (Read 4332 times)

trackallstar200

Topic Starter

How to create a new Drive C:
    « on: January 19, 2009, 04:54:31 PM »
    Ok so i deleted my drive C doing a clean reformat gone wrong. I now cannot install my Windows XP because its telling me about how my Primary drive cannot be found. How do I create a new one?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: How to create a new Drive C:
    « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 05:18:04 PM »
    How did you delete it and what exact Windows error message are you getting ? ?
    The primary partition needs to be set as active for a normal working Windows install so unless this was done it will not work...
    More details.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 05:46:17 PM »
    telling me about how my Primary drive c
    annot be found. How do I create a new one?

To create a Hard Drive you first must buy a company that makes them. Western Digital may be for sale, not sure.

What did the XP setup CD really say?
    If there was a drive available it would have shown it even if nor formatted.
    If your drive is a SATA you have to do something to let the install CD know how to get to it. Like load a driver or set up emulation in the BIOS.

trackallstar200

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 05:51:02 PM »
      I was doing a clean install of windows and deleted all the drive partitions I guess while following an over the phone step by step helper through dell. The setup was going fine after that then the monitor kept cutting off and stopping the installation at about 34 minutes left in the installation. I then took out the driver at the bottom I was plugging the monitor into and plugged the monitor into the higher plug and the setup I take it had to start over. when I tried that I started getting these messages after starting the computer past the "Dell" startup screen....

I originally get a message that says:

SATA Primary drive 0 not found
      strike the f1 key to continue,  f2 to run the setup utility

...i then hit F1 and when it starts to run the installation from the disk I get the message:

Setup did not find any hard disk drivers installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk related hardware config is correct.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 06:51:16 AM »
      Very early on in the XP install you will see aprompt at the bottom of the screen stating "Press F6 to install additional drivers"...at this point press F6 and put your Dell Driver CD in...it will locate them automatically and then prompt you to re-insert the XP CD to continue...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "