Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD-ROM  (Read 2888 times)

user5

DVD-ROM
« on: April 24, 2005, 05:31:48 PM »
Hi everybody,

DVD-DOM sd-c2202 on my sony laptop has power (green LED) on but does not read anything (music or data disc) i inserted in and a message "Please insert a disk into drive E" kept pop up.

By the way i have only that dvd-rom on my laptop. Why the drive letter is not D but E? Please help, anyone. Thanks.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: DVD-ROM
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 07:06:20 PM »
Go into the device manager... Now, find the drive, and right-click on it... Next hit Update Drivers... (You need to be connected to the internet for this to work) Let us know what happens...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

user5

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 08:21:13 PM »
hi Flame,

I cleaned it up with a dust blower. Looks like it can be able to read again. Do you have any idea about the other problem (drive letter is E but not D. This is the only optical drive i have on my laptop.) Thanks for your help.

gussery

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 04:47:01 AM »
You can make the drive letter anything you want it to be, between A-Z as long as there is not a drive with the same letter already existing.  Obviously you don't want to use A, B or C as those are normally the floppy drives and primary hard drive.

You don't mention your OS so I can't tell you how to reassign it without that bit of information.

BTW, when I setup a computer I will often make the first CD drive E or higher.  That way if I decide to install another hard drive later then my CD will not be reassigned and my programs that look for it at a drive letter will work without any reconfiguration.

user5

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 09:15:16 AM »
Thanks, Gary. That's brilliant! I have Win XP pro on my laptop.
By the way, after I cleaned my DVD-ROM, it worked but when I restarted it did not work again. Any suggestion? Thanks.

Kablam

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 10:18:04 AM »
You say you used a dust blower to clean it? do you have a c.d lense cleaner? they work well.