Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PSU, Should I upgrade or leave alone?  (Read 5283 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: PSU, Should I upgrade or leave alone?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »
additionally before making any random assumptions on the wattages and their effect on the electric grid one should understand that the wattage ratings on power supplies refers to the DC output, not the AC input, which is always 115/240 volts @60Hz or 50Hz depending on location. The numbers of amps drawn at that voltage is directly related to both the efficiency of the power supply's internal voltage regulators as well as the draw of the internal components.

Basically, the PSU generates the necessary DC current to power the PC and internal components, by watching the power draw on each rail and adjusting the output to match (this is what "response time" means on power supplies- their ability to react to changing demands of the machine, such as when motors come on and off and start drawing 12v as well as USB peripherals and so forth.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Laska

Intermediate

• Tisn't the Spring Lovely
    « Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 08:29:52 PM »
    Sorry I'll try to Be LESS Helpful in the future and leave all Quandries to the PROFFESIONLAS Like You If you Don't like my typing Don't look....What is Hi-Jacking ????????
    Max Wurl Ebus Pax Eterna  A Long Life Is God's Way Of Punishing Miserable People.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 08:53:28 AM »
      Sorry I'll try to Be LESS Helpful in the future and leave all Quandries to the PROFFESIONLAS Like You If you Don't like my typing Don't look....What is Hi-Jacking ????????

when you go off-topic on someone else's thread.
      If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

Windows98

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 08:42:43 PM »
      I decided to buy a new PSU, from what I have heard from members my PSU is to low.. So I decided to get the next cheapest one in store.  :P ( For those who knows me I don't buy on line.. and with all these retailers closing on our state left and right (circuit city next going, but couldn't find any instore) I went to bestbuy and got this one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9175698&st=PSU&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1218045946501 T

he second cheapest one I could find.. Its 450W, but It says re comend 300W on the website so even if it is cheap it should guarantee at least 400W which I don't think I will use until near future anyways.

All powersupplies I research has serge and all these protections so I think I am pretty safe.. At least I hope so.. The highest I  used is 300W max power supply and that's on another PC with 2HD and 2CD drives on a very old computer

Anyways, I notice the computer is a bit quieter? But it feels a bit warmer then normal?, but I'm not worried probally needs a good cleaning from dust anyways. (the computer is on a carpet I never vac um.)

Also their seems to be a boost in performance, I notice that their are fewer pauses and more RAM is being utilize instead of paining file.. I guess the Ram's were not getting enough power, especially If I have a CD running..

m_260

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 10:28:17 PM »
      That's a good upgrade. I've owned a BFG graphics card and it hasn't failed on me until I had to upgrade to a better card to get my system in better shape. And I expect the same for BFG power supplies. So great. More muscle than what your pc requires will make your machine happy.

It's like doing construction work and if you can handle all the bricks without breaking your back, it's all the better  :D

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 12:08:44 PM »
        glad its working out for you Win98. and good luck on your next upgrade.
        If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.