Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound problem  (Read 3120 times)

Help-an-Idiot

Sound problem
« on: May 05, 2005, 05:47:04 PM »
I'm not sure whether my problem is an XP problem or a sound card problem. my cpu is an amd 64 bit 939 pin 3500+ and my soundcard is 7.1 channel sound VIA ENVY 24PT made by Chaintech.
i have installed the sound card. the only speaker jack that works is the speaker jack that is on the front of the case, and those wires go through the sound card, not the mb. the jacks on the sound card and jacks on the back of the case give me no sound. the jack on the front relays the sound but only on the left stereo(s).
also, when i have been playing splinter cell, the sound will randomly cut out within the first 10 mins of the first level and the sound will only return in any application if i close splinter cell first. also, if i play swat, when i close the program the computer crashes. i'm not sure if this is because of the sound card, but the whole thing seems suspicious so i think it is.
when i installed the soundcard i did it using the instilation cd. in the setup process, one of the screens says the software

"has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP" it goes on with another paragraph that says that the software could impair the operation of the system. it also reccomends that i sto[p the instillation and contact the hardware vendor. the reason i did not do this is because the instilation booklet that guides you through this process includes this window and instructs you to just click "next" so i though it was no big deal.
the only thing i can think of that could be related to my problem is that i rurned off the mb's sound through the bios, but i thought that would just make sure that my sound card was used for the sound. pls help

Stickyfgz

Re: Sound problem
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 06:07:00 PM »
Because to run under 7.1 you'll need 7 speaker :P Set the sound option depending on how many speaker you have ex: 4 speakers = Quadruple speaker
5 speakers= 5.1
6 Speakers= 6.1
2 Speakers= Stereo

Help-an-Idiot

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 09:24:30 PM »
if only it was that easy :(. i uninstalled it and re-installed on 5.1 but the rear jacks still don't work, left speakers are still only speakers that work and games still crash.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 09:54:23 PM »
    Have you tried it with the sound turned back on in bios?

The game sound skipping & crashing on exit could be an unrelated problem.
    Make sure you have the latest drivers and also check the game's websites for patches and fixes.