Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Keeps Freezing.  (Read 2800 times)

patsfan02832

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Computer Keeps Freezing.
« on: March 16, 2009, 06:56:08 AM »
Hey all.

I have a custom built computer running Windows XP(SP3). It has a 3.2 Gig Intel Celeron with 4 gigs of RAM (max allowed by the motherboard). I'm excellent when it comes to building/setting up computers but when it comes to troubleshooting software issues, i'm a bit of an amatuer. I recently got a new case for it, but it has all the same things inside (Motherboard, video card, etc.).  After i got it all set up, it starts this freezing thing. It takes about 3 startups before it stops freezing long enough for me to do something useful.  Usually i get on to play World of Warcraft. It runs for hours without freezing while i'm playing, but when i start something new like Internet Explorer, Media Player, Ventrilo, etc., it just freezes. Upon restart, i get a message saying "CMOS checksum eror - Defaults loaded" then i have to hit F1 to continue or Del to enter setup.  Occasionally the date resets back to the year 2000, but the time and day are correct.

dr_iton

Intermediate
  • Reading jeopardizes stupidity?
    • PERSONAL WEB SITE
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Computer Keeps Freezing.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 07:31:05 AM »
I think that the problem exists in the battery of 3V, i suggest you to change it.
And at the end set yout BIOS configuration to Default Confoguration (when you are in the BIOS there is a key that turns your BIOS Defaults just read the BIOS instructions and you will find out the key).
Cheers.

A MARATHON BEGIN'S WITH A FIRST STEP.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 07:48:58 AM »
    "Occasionally the date resets back to the year 2000, but the time and day are correct."  Try replacing the motherboard battery.  How old is this "new" motherboard?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

patsfan02832

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 08:35:43 AM »
    I'll try that. The motherboard was bought new in 2006. Do you think replacing the motherboard battery will stop the freezing?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 02:29:29 PM »
    It may or may not but for $2.50 you can't go wrong...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dr_iton

Intermediate
    • Reading jeopardizes stupidity?
      • PERSONAL WEB SITE
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 07:28:17 AM »
    According to your description it must be the motherboard battery.
    Cheers.

A MARATHON BEGIN'S WITH A FIRST STEP.