Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer can't connect to the internet  (Read 5197 times)

HornsFan

Topic Starter

Starter

Computer can't connect to the internet
    « on: March 14, 2009, 05:17:26 PM »
    I have a wireless router that I want to use to connect my laptop to the internet. When I bought the router,  my computer connected perfectly well to the internet. However, I took the laptop to college and used it on the internet there for a few months. Now that I am back at home trying to connect to the internet using the wireless router again, my computer can't connect. My computer won't even connect to the internet when it is plugged directly into the modem.

It says that I am connected to the wireless network, but when I open a browser, the internet doesn't work. Signal strength is excellent.

I know the wireless router is okay since my home desktop computer connects to the internet just fine when plugged into it. I think some settings may have been changed on my laptop when I took it with me to college. How can I get my laptop to connect to the internet through the wireless router again?

I run Windows Vista on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. My router is made by Dynex

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer can't connect to the internet
    « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 05:32:19 PM »
    Unplug the router for 30 seconds.
    Plug it back in, and wait another minute, and try to reconnect to it. Also try directly plugging your computer back in at this time.

I'm guessing its your parents internet as well? Make sure they paid their bill, if they dont have a computer or use the internet, they may have canceled.

Second, on the computer having the problems, press the Start menu button, and type in:
    cmd
    right click "CMD" and click "Run as Administrator"
    In command prompt (CMD), type:

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    ipconfig /flushdns

Some of these steps may take longer than others.

Still not working?
    On the wireless icon next to the system clock in the system tray/taskbar, right click the wireless, and go to "Repair" (It may also be called Troubleshooting) it should automatically try to detect the problem. Be sure to tell us what it says.

HornsFan

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 05:45:45 PM »

Second, on the computer having the problems, press the Start menu button, and type in:
      cmd
      right click "CMD" and click "Run as Administrator"
      In command prompt (CMD), type

I already tried resetting the modem by unplugging it and plugging everything back in. That didn't work. I'm 100 percent sure my parents paid the internet bill since I'm using the internet on the home computer right now. In fact, the computer I'm using right now is plugged into my Dynex wireless router, which is plugged into the modem. The internet works fine. It appears that it is my laptop that is the problem

I'm not sure what you meant by pressing the start menu button and typing in cmd. Am I supposed to click in "run" and type cmd into the box? If so, I tried that and right clicked. I couldn't find the run as administrator option.

So, I typed in cmd and brought up the command prompt. I can't do the other commands (such as ipconfig/release) because it says that the command requires elevation. I am my laptop's administrator (or at least I should be) since I'm the only one that uses it.

When I try to find the problem on my laptop by asking it to detect the problem, it says that I may be having problems with my DNS settings.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 06:00:55 PM »
      Your in Vista, the start menu should be a search bar, and you should be able to click the start menu and just directly type CMD, however, if this is not the case, click:
      Start> Run
      type CMD, and click "Run as Administrator" in the run menu.

HornsFan

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 06:24:39 PM »
        Your in Vista, the start menu should be a search bar, and you should be able to click the start menu and just directly type CMD, however, if this is not the case, click:
        Start> Run
        type CMD, and click "Run as Administrator" in the run menu.

When I open up the run menu, I can't find any option to run something as an administrator. I can type cmd to get into the command prompt, but no run as administrator option. I've right clicked, and clicked all over the place, but I can't find anything

I'm sure that my account is an administrator's account since I just went to the accounts settings page in the control panel and made sure.

HornsFan

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 06:43:45 PM »
          I did ipconfig in the command prompt on my laptop, if that helps. Here is what came up:

Windows IP configuration

Host name: Richard-PC
          Primary DNS suffix:
          Node type: hybrid
          IP routing enabled: no
          WINS Proxy enabled: no
          DNS suffix search list: Dynex

Wireless LAN Adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection specific DNS suffix: Dynex
          Description: Intel (R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
          Physical address: 00-19-D2-B6-CD-09
          DHCP enabled: Yes
          Autoconfiguration enabled: Yes
          Link-local IPv6 address: fe80::c53e:a63d:4915:7f4859(Preferred)
          IPv4 address: 192.168.2.3 (preferred)
          Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
          Lease obtained: March 14, 2009
          Lease expires: April 21, 2009
          Default gateway: 192.168.2.1
          DHCP Server: 192.168.2.1
          DNS Servers: 192.168.2.1
          NetBIOS over Tcpip: Enabled