Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP won't load  (Read 2258 times)

bikerdude

XP won't load
« on: March 22, 2009, 09:29:28 AM »
Hi all,
I was on the internet today and Trend Micro popped up a screen that said suspicious changes were detected. So I clicked on manage changes. Then a screen popped up that looked like a windows screen telling me to restart computer to correct any other changes. Not the exact wording but you get the idea.
Now my computer won't get past the screen that says Windows cannot start due to a possible hard ware or software change. this is also the screen that gives the option to start in safe mode, last known good configuration and such.
I've tried all options and it always reboots to this screen.
I can however put in my back up drive and everything runs fine.
I'm stumped. Did I allow a virus to take over my computer? I think it rare for a virus to have such control.
 Can I get into the drive while using it as a slave and correct the malicious changes? I don't even know where I would look other than somewhere in the registry.
I'm running XP with 2.4GH chip 2gigs ram.
Thanks for any help,
B

darhblader

Beginner
    Re: XP won't load
    « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 06:30:22 PM »
    This is a common occurance and is usually just random. happened to me a couple of weeks back becasue i forgot to shut down properly

if you have your os installation disc, it usually has a repair startup or something like that on it. that should fix most problems

and yeah the slave drive will work fine if you have a working os on it. this works with a dual boot too so if you dual booting you can boot the other os and recover files like a slave drive.

however to repair the quickest way is to use your os disc

hope this helps

andy