Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compiling an index in Word 2007  (Read 2462 times)

kafka

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Compiling an index in Word 2007
    « on: March 28, 2009, 09:54:09 PM »
    I am trying to compile an index for my collected travelogues. My intention is to have the Main Entry contain the name of a country and the Sub Entry contain a place in that country (eg England/Canterbury). From what I can determine it doesn't seem possible to set a default Main Entry (eg England) and then mark sub-entries (eg Canterbury) so that each time I mark an entry it automatically becomes a sub-entry of the main entry. It seems to me (and I'm probably wrong) that compiling an index for a 124 page document will be very time consuming as I will have to manually enter the main entry and sub-entry each time I want an item to appear as a sub-entry of a main entry.

Does my post make sense?  A summary of what I want is:

MAIN ENTRY:    England  (default so I don't have to keep typing it in)
    SUB-ENTRY:     Canterbury  (entered by Word when I mark it)

I compiled an index for another document some time ago in the same style but can't remember what I did.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Compiling an index in Word 2007
    « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 10:31:27 PM »
    There should be an option to have a default entry in tghe main filed. Or some way to do an auto fill on a blank field.

Bu, If you can do that, you might consider using a keyboard macro thing.
    Here is one. It is called Windkey 2.8 and is a free download.
    Here is what PC World said about it:
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,5506-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html
    Edit:
    Ignore that link. It is more about process macros, not text macros.
    Here is a link about how to do text paste hot keys in Office 2007.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13880_3-9834110-68.html
    This is closer to want you want.

You would set it up so that your main entries would be on keyboard shortcuts. Or even sub entries. This reduces the number of keystrokes you need, and cuts spelling errors.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 11:36:50 PM by Geek-9pm »

kafka

Topic Starter

Rookie
      Re: Compiling an index in Word 2007
      « Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 11:03:03 PM »
      Thanks Geek-9pm, if nobody can tell me how to do it in Word itself I'll try your suggestion.