Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copy registry info from old WinXP folder to new WinXP folder  (Read 3312 times)

Devillocks

Copy registry info from old WinXP folder to new WinXP folder
« on: April 01, 2009, 11:55:24 AM »
Hi all, long story short, on our work machine running XP Pro we got a virus of some kind that locked us out of the admin account, prevented booting in safe mode etc, and all the usual fixes suggested in other helpful forums were for nil. Since the machine came from another business that was bought out a few years ago, there was no CD to boot from and no disks for the software already installed. The boss used his XP Home edition to reinstall windows (without disturbing the file system), but first we renamed the old windows folder to preserve the settings. Since all the program files and data are still available on the drive, we need to know if it's possible to transfer the old XP registry settings into the new XP folder since we can't reinstall all the programs. We have a second PC in the office that we can load the HD into if necessary. Any help would be appreciated!

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Copy registry info from old WinXP folder to new WinXP folder
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:50:44 PM »
Welcome aboard.

Can you be 100% sure that the 'old' registry is not infected with whatever virus shut-out the admin account.   If not then copying the registry files may transfer the virus as well as all the settings.

Am not sure that transferring a registry between Pro and Home is a viable solution for your problem but this site claims its product will transfer registry settings between Windows versions, and here's another with the same claim to fame.

I have no experience with either of the above so cannot recommend one over the other.

Good luck.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:38:13 PM »
Pro to Home registry merger will NOT work...
You will wind up with a mess on your hands...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

alexK

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 04:46:35 PM »
Patio,
you are correct. I once tried to move my Apachie from the D to the C drive, and ensuring all references to the D were changed to C.
No Sir, no way.