Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems w/ AntiVir Antivirus and the removal programs  (Read 4408 times)

wgreen584

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Problems w/ AntiVir Antivirus and the removal programs
    « on: April 18, 2009, 03:44:54 PM »
    Hey y'all, Billy here, and I am a newbie but here's my particulars as best that I know them.
    Using Win XP Ver 5.1
    Custom puter, (step dad built)
    Not sure of my speed, memory and all of that
    My problem is as follows: I'm a firefighter/medic, so I'm gone a lot. Yesterday, the wife says she "can't get online, do bills or anything sue to excessive pop ups and some Anti Virus crap." I told her to DC from internet, and shut it down. Usually, I am pretty good at stumbling my way into fixing these types of problems, but not this one. Upon booting up puter, I got several messages. 1st was something regarding Shockwave flash VS.3. The next is Trojan.win32.Agent..a254. Then a new icon showed up on the desk top. So after on line searching, I was told to remove the antivir software and install drive sentry. Then when i tried getting on the Internet, I received a page saying this page is blocked. The icon that was new on the desk top and the tool bar, was for Personal Anti Virus, or pav.exe. Tried to figure out what this program was and did. It was apparently downloaded by the wife the day before, accidentally, she swears that she didn't dl anything. So I tried to uninstall this "new" antivirus software to no avail. Using my blackberry, I did some research, to find that the pav.exe is linked to AntiVir, and to remove that program and dl a different one. Went to remove software, hit remove, required reboot to take affect, and bammm!! It's still there, and I keep getting this message, "Setup could not determine the feature control file or was not able to read it correctly"! I cannot dl a better antivirus.  now! So I go to last good start up, dated 2 days before when I knew there were no problems, rebooted with that date, and internet explorer problems are gone, but still have AntiVir and can't get rid of it to dl a better one!!!
    Help me please!!!!!!!

Thank you,
    BG

Wow that was too long!   >:(
    « Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 04:34:36 PM by evilfantasy »

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Problems w/ AntiVir Antivirus and the removal programs