Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help...  (Read 2695 times)

JWW

Topic Starter

Starter

Help...
    « on: April 11, 2009, 04:19:26 PM »
    Ok, so for 4 years i had a Toshiba Laptop with Windows XP and everything was cool, but then it started acting up and i had to get a new Toshiba...

well this comes with Vista and i am confused with alot of the features but that i can handle... my main problems are..

I had Microsoft Office 2003 version on my old computer with a product key, and i hate the 2007 version so i dont wanna pay another 100 to get a product i dont like when i had a program i liked and already paid for. so is there anyway i can get Office 2003 on my computer?

and i also have a game i payed for and downloaded on my old computer not too long ago, how can i transfer that over aswell?

i can still access my old laptop to move programs and put them on discs but i am not really sure how to do that...

i tried moving my files over but they all seem to be corrupted once on the Vista.. i even downloaded Word Viewer 2003 and it still didnt work...

and i downloaded trillian for my messengers but when i try to check over my conversation history it gives me all sorts of error messages and wont let me view the history..

can anyone help?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Help...
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 01:26:41 AM »
    Welcome to ComputerHope.

I had Microsoft Office 2003 version on my old computer with a product key, and i hate the 2007 version so i dont wanna pay another 100 to get a product i dont like when i had a program i liked and already paid for. so is there anyway i can get Office 2003 on my computer?
    If you still have the CD and the product key, you should be able to install it on the other computer as well.

and i also have a game i payed for and downloaded on my old computer not too long ago, how can i transfer that over aswell?
    What game is it?
    I am aware that a few EA games (some are required to be downloaded off the internet) have some sort of scheme where you can install it on 3 -5 computers. Not too sure about it though.

i tried moving my files over but they all seem to be corrupted once on the Vista.. i even downloaded Word Viewer 2003 and it still didnt work...
    More specifically?

and i downloaded trillian for my messengers but when i try to check over my conversation history it gives me all sorts of error messages and wont let me view the history..
    Did you previously use Trillian? What history?

JWW

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 05:36:26 AM »
      Welcome to ComputerHope.
      If you still have the CD and the product key, you should be able to install it on the other computer as well.

the old computer came with Office pre-installed and paid for, and they gave me the product key on a card, i still have the card with the produced key on it, but i cant seem to find the product to download, I have some blank CDs thou. Is there a way i just move the program from the old computer onto the blank CD then onto the new one?

What game is it?
      I am aware that a few EA games (some are required to be downloaded off the internet) have some sort of scheme where you can install it on 3 -5 computers. Not too sure about it though.

Its from Sega I think, Eastside Hockey Manager, I originally downloaded it off their web site.. again no CD for it, but i do have the product key that they emailed me.

More specifically?

When i go to open one of the files i moved over, onto any other program, in this case i downloaded the 2003 version of Word Viewer figuring it would be compatible with the documents that i wrote on 2003 Word processor. but they all come in looking like this

http://i40.tinypic.com/ngrryx.jpg

Did you previously use Trillian? What history?
      I had Trillian a while ago on my old computer, switched to regular MSN, now on the new computer i went back to trillian and when you click view contact history, a Word Pad Document pops up with your full conversation history, but now when i click it, i get this.

http://i41.tinypic.com/16a1bgh.jpg

====

Thank you for the help.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 08:07:32 AM »
      You cannot move the Microsoft Office installation. It doesn't work like that.
      Unless you can borrow the CD from a friend, you will have to buy MS Office again (You might not be able to get version 2003, but 2007).
      There is a free alternative to Microsoft Office that I have installed on one of my computers: Open Office.

http://www.openoffice.org/

Open Office is able to read, edit, and save Microsoft Office file formats. It consists of Writer/Word, Calc/Excel, Impress/Powerpoint, ect...
      And the best part is it's free.

About the game, can you not download it again? Like Office, you cannot simply move the program files.

Regarding your Word Viewer, let it be. The best free alternative would be Open Office.

As for Trillian, I'm not a Trillian user so I can't really help you there.
      I am curious if the problem is because the history format is in MSNs format or maybe it's not in the right folder.

JWW

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 08:48:08 AM »
        That open office looks pretty nifty, Thank you for that, it looks and feels pretty much like my old version some minor differences but nothing I cant get used to. So again thank you so much for it.

But one question with that, when I tried again to open an old file I moved over, a long list of programs popped up asking what I wanted to use and all the programs I selected seemed to be the wrong one. So what would I use to open a Microsoft Works Word Processor 2003 file?

And with trillian the problem remains a mystery, but this is a new error message that popped up with it.

http://i39.tinypic.com/dwuptw.jpg

and if I click yes, nothing happens anyway, it just stays as a blank page.

------
        Edit

I figured out the Trillian problem, since its a new computer i am using i hadnt created a new folder for any documents yet, so it didnt set a folder to save my history to.

But after i created a new folder, it saves fine now
        « Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 11:35:12 AM by JWW »