Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Virtual Memory vs ReadyBoost.  (Read 14353 times)

JHenderson

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Virtual Memory vs ReadyBoost.
    « on: April 19, 2009, 01:23:55 AM »
    I have an older laptop with a Pentium M 1.6 Ghz  processor and I just upgraded from 2x 512 pc2700 333mhz DDR RAM to 2x1024 pc2700 333mhz DDR RAM. I am running Vista Home Basic because my integrated graphics is only 128MB. With my current use I have virtual memory setup at to auto configure and its currently allocated 2339MB but recommends 3058MB. My Readyboost is setup on a USB 2.0 8GB Lexar Flashdrive and is setup at its max of 4090MB. When I am doing my typical computer activities my RAM is 50 Percent used (according to the Performance Monitor on my Windows Sidebar Application) but jumps up to MAYBE 70% on max software usage. In your guys professional opinion should I adjust my virtual memory and configure it myself with values you would recommend and continue to use ReadyBoost or get rid of ReadyBoost and just use virtual memory. Should I not use either at all because my 2 GB of RAM are sufficient enough? Is readyboost better than virtual memory or are either of them faster than the other? Sorry to have so many questions but am really wanting to make this setup as best as possible because I use my computer often.  Who doesn't want their computer running at optimum performance? I know I do! Thanks Guys for reading and any advice mould be awesome! Let me know if I did not provide any other Computer Specs you made need too. Thanks again for all your guys help and have a GREAT ONE!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Virtual Memory vs ReadyBoost.
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 08:31:57 AM »
    2 things i would try:

Get rid of Ready Boost and leave the other settings in place...see how performance is (my guess is it will be better)

2nd thing you can try is set the min and max # of Virtual memory to the same # such as 2048. You need to re-boot for changes to take effect...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JHenderson

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 03:13:20 AM »
      Is there a performance software that could monitor the differences between the 2 or because its virtual disk its coming directly from the internal HDD it should use the memory faster than going through USB 2.0 Flash Drive. I will definitely set the values of the min and max on my virtual memory the same, Should I do double what my RAM is of 2048 to 4096 virtual min/max or will it probably max out at 2048 because that how much physical RAM I have on the machine? Thanks again!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 06:23:38 AM »
      2048 is plenty.
      Is this an IDE drive or SATA ? ?
      If IDE go to Device Manager and right click the primary/secondary IDE channels and right click them and select Properties...
      Verify they have not dropped back into PIO mode...should be DMA or Ultra DMA if available...

JHenderson

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 12:50:34 PM »
        I do have a sata internal but I have an IDE under device manager and did check and its set ultra dma. I set virtual as 2048 as min and max as recommended and will remove the usb flashdrive Readyboost. Thank you for the information. My internal hard drive accessing the memory has got to be faster than using a slower usb 2.0 drive as memory (readyboost) I would think....

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 01:40:48 PM »
        Thanx for the update...let us know.

JHenderson

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 12:26:22 AM »
          Always go for the virtual memory over the ready boost because the speed access of USB is much slower than the internal HDD. Now that I know I will always do that, only reason I would ever use readyboost is if I had virtual already maxed, my ram slots were full, and still not sitting at 50% usage at normal program usage. Thanks for the info. I would thank you again but cant within a 2 hour span..... :-\