Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I can't start my Product Recovery DVD!?!  (Read 4625 times)

guitarz21

Topic Starter

I can't start my Product Recovery DVD!?!
    « on: April 22, 2009, 11:00:41 PM »
    I was having virus/malware problems on my Toshiba Satellite M30 and used my product recovery DVD to return my comp to its factory settings... It was working great until I downloaded AVG antivirus... I ran a full computer scan and it registered all my necessary executable files as corrupted, including explorer.exe... So i shut down my computer, and when i turned it back on, it boots up and only shows my desktop background... No icons, No taskbar.. nothing.. Even in safe mode nothing boots up.. When i use the task manager to try and run: explorer.exe, it says that the file cannot be found.. So i tried to put my Recovery DVD back in to start all over again, but now I can't seem to get the DVD started... It does not recognize that there is a disc in the D: drive... If anyone can spare some information or suggestions, please let me know!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

BumFacer

Rookie

• Its not the things they say, its what they whisper
      Re: I can't start my Product Recovery DVD!?!
      « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 07:42:45 AM »
      Have you tried booting from the recovery DVD?  You may need to tell the laptop to boot off DVD by holding down a Function key (F10?) immediately after power-on then choose "boot from DVD/CD"

guitarz21

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
        yeah.. i pressed F8 after boot up to get the start-up menu.. but there's no option to boot DVD/CD.. any other  ideas???

JJ 3000

Egghead
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 09:35:42 PM »
        When you first turn your computer on, before windows loads, you will see a message that says to press a certain key to enter setup. Pay attention, as the message may flash very quickly. It is usually an Fkey or esc or del. Tap this key as the computer starts up - before windows starts to load.

This will take you into BIOS. You use the arrow keys to navigate through BIOS.

In BIOS you want to look for Boot order or Boot sequence or maybe even just Boot. You want to set your CD drive as the first boot device. You usually use the plus and minus keys to move your devices around in the boot order.

Once you have your CD drive set as the first boot device, place the CD in the master CD drive. Now exit setup and SAVE changes (F10).

The computer will now reboot. You may see a message that says: "Press any key to boot to CD". Just keep tapping the space bar as the computer is starting back up (before windows loads).

Good luck!
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.
        http://www.petfinder.com/