Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What would I need to convert a VHS tape to a file I could use on my PC?  (Read 2595 times)

roccenstein

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    I have some old family videos that I'd like to convert over to dvd, as well as maybe posting a few clips online (for out of state family members, etc).  The videos are all on VHS tapes.  What would I need, hardware and software-wise, to upload or save the videos to my PC?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    You want a video capture device. That are sold desperately if you want to save some money. Or just buy a new video card that has video capture built in.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/graphics-cards/

Another way is you use a USB device that can capture the output from you VCR and send it to your screen. Like the other devices mentioned it also will let you record to a hard drive.
    There are lots of them. Quality and price vary a lot.
    Google "USB video capture."

squall_01

Prodigy

there are a good number of ways to go about this know.  First you can get a vcr +dvd player/bunner, you just play the tape and it will record to the dvd.  Second you can get a conveter which takes the signal out of the vhs turns it to digital allows for editting and saving it to a format you want an then possibly sending it back out if you wanted.   Havent done this stuff in a while but there.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

roccenstein

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        I have a TV tuner with a coax jack, would that work, or does it have to be a video capture card?  I'm reluctant to spend a chunk of money on something that I will no longer need once I'm done transferring the tapes.

Also, I know about the vcr/dvd combo decks, but I want the video on my PC so I can edit it.

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
          You can get a video capture card for $20 or less. 

I did this to all my old VHS tapes a couple years back.  Hooked a VCR up to the capture card and sat for hours recording all the tapes.  Then I burnt them onto dvd's.
          Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

squall_01

Prodigy

thats what I'm wanting to do, have yet to do it.  I wonder can you get them in pci?  I was thinking of getting a machine geared for other use but can do this with it as well.  Any way, can't he get like a program then?  Doesnt Movie Maker have a record feature?
            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

truenorth

Guru

roccenstein, I continue to use this http://www.adstech.com/products/USBAV-709-EF/intro/USBAV-709_intro.asp?pid=USBAV-709-EF with great results. I am also using (on another computer ) a very similar product by a company called "cameramate" using software called "propix'. I have 2 direct to DVD from VHS recorders and i don't experience the same level of video quality as the hardware capture devices i have listed above.truenorth

roccenstein

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                Just thought I'd let you all know, my previously installed TV tuner card worked as a video capture device.  I simply connected the VCR by coax cable to the TV card, opened the program I use to watch TV, pushed play on the VCR, and there it was.  The card I have in case anyone is interested is the Pinnacle PCTV HD PCI card, and I'm using the TV Center Pro software that came with it.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

squall_01

Prodigy

I had a feeling that he could glad that it was that easy  ;)

roccenstein

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                    ^Yeah, and the nice thing about it if you're wanting to transfer video files this way is that if you put out the money to buy this (around $80 when I bought mine), you'll have a TV tuner on your PC afterward, rather than a dedicated video capture device that you might never use again.

squall_01

Prodigy

I see an know what you mean, I got an external converter that I havent used in a while.  Plan to use it again soon not sure were but the signal is kind of bad when it shows on the monitor.

roccenstein

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                        That's definitely another plus with the TV tuner, the picture from the VCR was just as good as when it's connected to a regular TV.

squall_01

Prodigy

I suppose its coax, I have to feed mine threw the yellow-white and red then attach it via usb