Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: White screen when installing drivers on XP??? Help!  (Read 1715 times)

LustrousWS6

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

White screen when installing drivers on XP??? Help!
    « on: May 15, 2009, 06:07:10 PM »
    System is running XP Home SP2 (same problem on XP Pro)
    Mobo: Asus M3N78 Pro
    RAM: (cheapy) Kingston RAM (approved for said Mobo) 2Gigs
    HD: WD SATA Caviar 320GB
    CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9500

Problem: Never heard of this... whenever I try to autorun the Chipset CD from Asus or try to install a driver off the CD via Device Manager (Add Hardware), it'll get about 1/3 or 1/2 way through the install and freeze, all activity will stop (HD, CD-ROM, everything) and then the screen will go white.   Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Mobo has been flashed to most recent version.  I'm using the M3N78 Pro's on-board graphics to run to a tube monitor (old style) and the system boots fine every time.  Problem occurs in safe mode as well...  Thanks for looking!

- Ryan

Edit:  I'm placing this in the hardware section as the problem has occurred on two replacement Mobos and RAM that was not approved for the Mobo and ram that was on multiple fresh installs of XP (both Pro and Home SP2).
    « Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 06:33:51 PM by LustrousWS6 »

hot dog

Re: White screen when installing drivers on XP??? Help!
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 12:34:35 AM »
    You're using Service pack 2, perhaps there's a patch for this problem you're having in Service Pack 3. Maybe it's time to update.

Have you tried swaping in a different CD drive to do the install driver install. I realize you've done successful OS installs with that drive, but some drives are picky! :o

A Firmware update for the CD drive from the manufacturer may suffice, as well. Although it may void any warranty on it.  What about simply udating the driver for the CD drive?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 02:21:41 AM by blockHEAD »

LustrousWS6

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: White screen when installing drivers on XP??? Help!
      « Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 03:53:29 AM »
      Apparently this ancient drive was very picky.  It and it alone was responsible for the problem I was encountering.  Popped in a new drive (took about a week and a half to get to me) and everything came right up.  Ended up having to buy an ethernet card... sadly the one that came on the mobo wasn't requesting properly...

Thanks for the help and I'll leave this thread up in case anyone searches regarding a similar problem.