Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is the best broweser to use? Does firefix have compatibility issues?  (Read 3936 times)

PhantomAgony

Topic Starter

Starter

Right now I have IE, the one that came w/ my computer (don't know what version it is.. but the computer is fairly new) - how can I tell the version?

Anyway.. I keep hearing that firefox is better and I want to get it BUT I am fearful that unlike IE that works w/ everything, Firefox has compatibility issues.  Is this true?  Anyone use firefox?  What's the pros?  Cons?  I know there are add ons but the basic internet as it comes is what I am referring to.

Is it best to just stick w/ IE?  I have also heard things about Google Chrome..
    is that good?

I am not sure what to do.. any input from PERSONAL experience (not just stats, b/c I can read stats) would help.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    DLoad and install FireFox to see...
    IE does not need to be touched and can be left alone...
    They can run side by side with no problem.

Anyone who said FireFox has compatibility issues has his own compatibility issues and probably should not have a PC...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Right now I have IE, the one that came w/ my computer (don't know what version it is..
    Click Help, and then click About Internet Explorer to see what version you have.   

If you install Firefox and/or Chrome, just keep in mind you need to tell Windows which one is your default browser.  If, for example, you set Firefox as your default browser, then hyperlinks in email messages, Word Files, etc. will open a Firefox window.  According to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp, Firefox is now used for 47.7% of web browsing.  That's a pretty strong statement supporting the popularity of Firefox.

I recently installed Chrome, too, just to take a look at it.  I haven't used it much yet but it seems to be a worthy contender in the browser arena.

So, I have all three browsers on one computer.  This does not cause problems.  Again, one must be designated as default browser.  That can be easily changed.

Fairadir

Rookie

I have 4 browsers installed on my computer; IE, Firefox, Google Chrome and Safari.
      I would recommend Firefox and Safari, I use both them regularly.
      Firefox is a very good browser, I didn't have any problems with it at all, and it has a lot of useful add-ons.
      Safari is very easy to get used to, and runs just as Firefox, really good.

Google Chrome is also a nice browser, but I don't use it much because I don't really like the looks and I have to refresh some site before I can see them..

Just try some browsers, and then keep the one(s) that you like the most.