Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IDE to SATA help  (Read 2756 times)

munkytown

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    IDE to SATA help
    « on: June 05, 2009, 12:49:01 AM »
    i just got a new gateway computer and have been trying to find out about something. it has a 640gb SATA hdd and only has SATA connector slots (or whatever you call them) to add other hdd's or optical drives. i have 2 IDE hdd's and an IDE optical drive i want to add to this tower without having to use external enclosures since im only limited to 6 usb ports total and only 2 of them on the front. i want to avoid using a usb hub if possible. is what i need called an "IDE to SATA cable/converter" or "SATA to IDE cable/converter"? i'm guessing it's the first. or are they the same thing? i've seen the things that u just plug into your motherboard and then just plug the IDE hdd into it. would that be all i need? what about the power cable? thanks in advance.

hot dog

Re: IDE to SATA help
    « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 01:01:43 AM »
    here you go, sir   8)

http://www.cooldrives.com/serial-ata---ata-atapi-ide-interface-adapter.html

Plug the adapter into the back of your IDE drives, and then use a SATA data cable to connect the IDE drive to the  SATA controllers (conectors) on the motherboard.
    « Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 02:44:34 AM by blockHEAD »

munkytown

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 03:41:27 PM »
      thanks for the reply. from that link you sent me, it says the IDE drive becomes a SATA drive but do you know if that means it will run at SATA speeds or at least faster then traditional IDE speeds? also, if i use this for my IDE optical drive will it still run at least at the speeds it does as just an IDE drive and maybe faster also? thanks again.

hot dog

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 03:53:48 PM »
      thanks for the reply. from that link you sent me, it says the IDE drive becomes a SATA drive but do you know if that means it will run at SATA speeds or at least faster then traditional IDE speeds? also, if i use this for my IDE optical drive will it still run at least at the speeds it does as just an IDE drive and maybe faster also? thanks again.

As far as I can see the adapter allows for connecting the the IDE drive to the SATA connector.....I didn't read any specifications or any documentation on the adapters..
      Whether or not the speed is enhanced or converted to SATA speed, I have no clue..

munkytown

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 04:12:03 PM »
        alrighty. thanks

hot dog

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 05:09:52 PM »
        keep in mind that's just one website where you can purchase those adapters....if you look around carefully you may be able to find some good deals....and save some money