Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC to stereo  (Read 1838 times)

pstone

PC to stereo
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:09:28 AM »
OK, here's what I want to do...
I have all my CDs finally downloaded onto a hard drive.  I want to create a music server that plugs directly into an input on my stereo...a computer that has absolutely nothing else on it but operating system, the music and iTunes (the format I used to download all the music), but also has the ability to access the internet, burn CDs and record CDs.
The computer the hard drive is in now is REALLY old; the CPU is so weak it can't even play the music without skipping.
I was advised 1) all sound drivers are the same, 2) no sound cards have RCA type plugs as outputs 3) it would be easiest and cheapest to just buy a new stripped down computer, use plug adapters from the output of the PC to input to the pre-amp of the stereo.
I can't believe there is not a market for such a system?  Is everyone just using their computers as stereos now?
So, any thoughts??? suggestions??

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: PC to stereo
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:29:30 AM »
I've been doing this for years, mainly to use stereo for surround sound games. I even played Wolfenstein 3D many many years ago using stereo as sound system. All you need is to get a stereo phono jack ( same jack as modern headphones ) and 2 RCA Left and Right for Stereo Aux Input and set your level on your audio on you PC to about 50% and use stereo remote to control volume etc.

You can even go one step further and record FM Radio or convert LP's to MP3 ( although there is some degradation in conversion as well as Analog LP to digital MP3 loses lots of range from original quality LP. To do that get a Male/Male Stereo Phono cable and plug the PC Mic into the Headphone Out on the Stereo.

Output of Stereo to Mic of PC is only risk for failure here as for if you have volume too high you will burn up the preamp of the mic jack...set volume to like 25% on the stereo and gradually raise it to about 50% until you get the perfect recording quality without hiss in the background, but not too high in which you have amplitude chopping in which the imput exceeds the scale range of the preamp keeping it pegged.

Most who can afford it these days get tuner cards for radio through PC etc, but if you want something LOUD and full of range a stereo is the way to go. OR tuner card and an expensive Woofer/surround sound setup to get same quality as stereo and less bulky.

Also with the iPOD and the stereo base I have seen many go that route.