Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Jumper Confusion  (Read 3008 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Jumper Confusion
    « on: June 30, 2009, 06:08:48 AM »
    okay, not sure if these are right or not since its how I got it.  Its a Seagate st351ax I found the manual here http://www.scribd.com/doc/246908/st351ax  its an 18 pin config.  But what I would like to know is if factory test should be on there an if I should keep the bus reset low or not.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Jumper Confusion
    « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 08:19:39 AM »
    I would leave the factory test disabled and set low. Is this drive giving you troubles?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:49:22 AM »
      some what I think cause its set to be slave an not master just wonder so that I can set it right. I can change that, but I need this drive more or less.  Also, it says acive light in the manual is that to see if the drive is moveing data or what?
      « Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 10:19:25 AM by squall_01 »
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 05:33:29 PM »
        Any thoughts here?  The drive spins but it doesnt see it at all for some reason.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 06:46:12 PM »
        Dead drive...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 08:01:29 PM »
        Dead drive...

Now now, let's not jump to conclusions, even when all the evidence points to that conclusion quite conclusively, with no real margin of error.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Quantos

Guru
        • Veni, Vidi, Vici
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 08:23:06 PM »
        Now now, let's not jump to conclusions, even when all the evidence points to that conclusion quite conclusively, with no real margin of error.

My sarcasm meter has a bent needle....
        Evil is an exact science.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 05:29:33 AM »
          seems to work with the orginal unit.  Just wondered so I can set it up, mite be hard ware spefic in such that it really wont work with any other machine.  I really need this drive if possible here, cause I have one like it that I may find answer too as well.

Quantos

Guru
          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 01:00:45 PM »
          Double check your jumper configuration again.  If the drive works then that's probably your problem.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 04:14:40 PM »
            I will its kind of wierd cause its an eighteen pin jumper config instead of twelve, any rate it says acive light in the manual is that to see if the drive is moveing data or what?

DaveLembke

Sage
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 12:17:44 AM »
            Active Light usually has an LED attached to it to show flicker with communications same as with all computers HD LEDS.

Is this drive and ISA HD Controller being stuffed into a newer motherboard in which you may need to point the bios boot order to this HD controller vs integrated IDE controllers etc or is the hardware similar age both without a keystroke accessible bios?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 04:10:14 AM »
              ah okay, I cant say that it is since it use's IDE but its from a Tandy 100 RLX Harddrive.  Ah still getting used to a lot of that but that should hopefully help here.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 06:10:43 PM »
              It probably would have been extremely helpful had you mentioned in your original post that this was a HDD from a Tandy 100.

You need to qualify your Posts with pertinent info so we don't sit here guessing about what the heck we're dealing with.

Consider this down the road or i'll no longer even attempt to assist.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 04:13:27 AM »
                I have other drives like it that arent even from these.  Thing is that its not spinning in the tandy for some reason an I want to format this to put the os on it.  But a newer machine doesnt have issue.

Quantos

Guru
                • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 04:16:10 AM »
                What machine are you trying to put it into, some machines will not recognize this drive at all.
                For all intents and purposes it's only a paperweight with an ATX form factor.