Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Prototype Start up issues  (Read 12385 times)

BladeWolf

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Hasta La Vista... Vista...
    • Experience: Beginner
    Prototype Start up issues
    « on: June 17, 2009, 03:57:10 AM »
    Hi guys.

This one is fustrating me to the point of nigh-on violence.

I recently got the game 'Prototype' and was genuinely exciteted to play it as I had seen some pretty awesome stuff in the various trailers.
    I know this is going to sound really stupid but im out of options that i can think of.

First of I think its has to be stated that I am over 18, I can buy this game legally (and have done so), therefore why is it when I try to play this game it keeps telling me that I cannot access games with this restriction on parental controls

I am running Windows Vista 32-bit as a Administrator, which to my knowledge and according to the computer itself, has no Age restrictions placed on it.

At no point aside from Registration has Steam asked me my age and that alone should prove my age but apparently not.

I spent the last few hours downloading this game and I cant play it due to a absolutly silly reason like this.

I have never had any issues like this before, I have restarted my PC and frankly Im very angered at this, I was looking forward to playing this game...

I have attempted 'Run as Administrator' on both the Steam link and the Application I found in the steamapps under 'prototypef' I have created a seperate account with unlocked access to all ages and still it doesent work with the same reason 'Parental Restrictions'
    As far as I am aware, Parental Control does not have any effect and according to my computer, is not active in anyway on my primary account (Administrator) my secondary account I set up to test (aptly named Prototype) at first had no Parental control either, the next time I set it up with allowances for all games. And still the same warning appeared.

However, this does not mean I have given up on Disabling the Parental Controls, but all signs point to the fact that according to Vista, on the administrator account, parental controls are infact disabled by default.

I have since gotten a second copy (this time not over steam) and the same happens. I have no idea whats going on.

[attachment deleted by admin]

BladeWolf

Topic Starter

Beginner
      Re: Prototype Start up issues
      « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 04:38:17 AM »
      Anyone? I tired talking to Steam Support, they bounced it to Activision, who bounced me to Microsoft and from there, back to Activision... Im running out of ideas of who to talk to

Mulreay

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 09:21:44 PM »
      Bit of an odd one this mate never seen it before.
      First things first have a quick gooses on this site to see if there is anything you can change then get back to us.  :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial139.html

BladeWolf

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 12:30:30 AM »
        Hmm I have dabbled in this already, but, because I like this place alot, I'll have another stab at it... I'll try allowing it specifically .

In the meanwhile, Is their a code for advanced launch options (I am unsure or the proper name) sort of like -noagerestriction or -disableagecheck (I made those two up). This is for when I open the 'Properties' of the prototypef.exe and I have the 'target' box which shows the link;

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 3480"

Thats one I just pulled off my desktop (Its Peggle EXTREME)

Mulreay

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 12:47:59 AM »
        I'm gonna keep on looking for you but have you tried a complete re-download? I know it's a pain in the rectum but sometimes... you know the script and because it's paid for there is no reason you should not be able to download again.

BladeWolf

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 12:02:56 AM »
          Yup... Re-downloaded... still nothing.

That tutorial, unfortunately, didn't help, I already used It to try and de-activate them in the first place

Mulreay

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 12:11:59 AM »
          So you fall in to one of these then

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Guide/Parental+Controls/Questions/122554.htm

And we have followed all of these.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/help/585539d0-0862-41e4-9b39-53467648efc51033.mspx

I'm not fully sure about this but check

http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2007/11/ie-parental-controls-how-to-remove-them.html

It's not exact but close to your problem.

Warning: this may damage your computer and I'm only offering options.

BladeWolf

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 04:49:11 AM »
            Thank you or helping, you at least listened, which is more then either of the support teams did...

I personally would rather not damage my computer... I did however bookmark the page. I will continue to try to find a solution to my issue. Again, thank you

Mulreay

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 04:50:51 AM »
            I'll keep looking for you mate.  ;)

strike101

Starter

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 07:37:24 AM »
              Any luck fixing it ? i'm also having the same problem , Prototype refusing to start with the restriction problem ( Parental Controls)

and in my case , i don't even have Parental control installed ( removed it using Vlite during installation of Vista )

and I own a LOT of games.... some rated M and etc... but never got this type of problem

BladeWolf

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 06:03:49 PM »
                Nope no progress, still mucking about with things though, so if I get anywhere, you'll be one of the first to know :)

BladeWolf

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  « Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 01:48:40 AM »
                  Any luck fixing it ? i'm also having the same problem , Prototype refusing to start with the restriction problem ( Parental Controls)

and in my case , i don't even have Parental control installed ( removed it using Vlite during installation of Vista )

and I own a LOT of games.... some rated M and etc... but never got this type of problem

You don't even have Parental Controls Installed? wait just a tick...

This is looking like Activision's problem to be honest because according to the Microsoft guy I talked too, having disabled all Parental Controls should have solved this issue. Unfortunately I tried talking to Activision already and they were adamant that it wasn't their fault.

strike101

Starter

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 08:10:31 AM »
                    tried a clean install of windows 7 this time , should have bought the retail version , i'm currently redownloading it on steam.....

and least it's good to hear that i'm not the only have experiencing the problem

BladeWolf

Topic Starter

Beginner
                      « Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 10:32:32 AM »
                      Any change? Does it work now?

strike101

Starter

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 07:33:46 AM »