Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I get sound from computer to LCD TV  (Read 2340 times)

morgana47

Topic Starter

How do I get sound from computer to LCD TV
    « on: July 25, 2009, 11:14:06 PM »
    I use my LCD TV as my monitor for my computer, I currently have the two hooked up via hdmi to DVI with my computer speakers sitting next to my TV for sound.  I already tried a HDMI to HDMI cable to try to get sound from the computer to my TV and it didn't work.  Is there any other way to get the sound from my computer to come out my TV.  I thought of getting a 3.5mm/ audio ax cable to hook up the two but haven't tried it yet. Pleeeesse does anyone know how to get sound from the computer to my TV (I am tired of these little speakers on my 40 inch LCD TV).  My computer is a gateway GT5678 and my TV is a Philips 42TA648BX/37

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: How do I get sound from computer to LCD TV
    « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 11:19:03 PM »
    Does your sound card support dual outputs?

If it does just pick up a RCA to 1/8" stereo cable.  It would go from the out on your sound card, that's the 1/8" stereo male, to the input on your tv, that's the stereo RCA.
    Evil is an exact science.

morgana47

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 11:48:40 PM »
      Thanks, I looked up the sound device on my computer and it shows two,  "realtek high definition audio" and " NVIDIA HDMI audio", but i'm not sure if these take the dual outputs, I'm assuming you mean the RCA red and white jacks right?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 10:11:36 AM »
        I have exactly the same configuration as you from a Dell XPS computer and for the audio i just come out of the "line out " of the computer sound card with a mini stereo male jack and into the HDTV LCD with a left and right RCA male cable combination (red/white) plugs.Works fine and i even then run both the TV and the computer based sound through an  external 3 speaker/headset variable volume control system.truenorth

Quantos

Guru
        • Veni, Vidi, Vici
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 05:43:33 PM »
        I have exactly the same configuration as you from a Dell XPS computer and for the audio i just come out of the "line out " of the computer sound card with a mini stereo male jack and into the HDTV LCD with a left and right RCA male cable combination (red/white) plugs.Works fine and i even then run both the TV and the computer based sound through an  external 3 speaker/headset variable volume control system.truenorth

That would be a 1/8" male stereo to stereo RCA male.
        Evil is an exact science.