Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer will not complete boot  (Read 2018 times)

dp1378

Topic Starter

Computer will not complete boot
    « on: July 28, 2009, 05:45:06 AM »
    Last night we had thunderstorms roll through our area. We had intermitent power outages and during one of them, I instructed the computer to shut down. In the process of shutting down, we had a power failure that lasted the whole night. Upon getting to my computer this morning, it was going through the startup sequence, would get as far as the boot screen, then power down and go through the whole sequence again. During the next boot up, a screen appeared asking me to select the mode that I last started successfully in and I tried the normal mode. Then it would shut down. I tried booting up in safe mode (one of the options) and again it would re-start itself. I could not get to the windows screen at all.  I can get into recovery mode but it says that it will erase all data on the HDD and I have files on there that I need to recover as well.  Unfortunately, I did not back up the computer since I got it 2.5 years ago.

I opened the cover and started the computer.  Cooling fans were running, inside was cleaned out.  I did not hear any noise coming from the HDD so I think it is dead.

I have Windows XP. The computer is about 2.5 years old.  Outside of this, I do not have any other information but will be able to get some.  Can anyone help with this?

WyattSoft

Beginner

Re: Computer will not complete boot
      « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 06:20:30 AM »
      Have you tried the 'Last Good Configuration' option in the boot menu?

dp1378

Topic Starter

Re: Computer will not complete boot
        « Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 06:27:30 AM »
        Yes, every option I tried yields the same result.  I tried booting it in safe mode with no success as well.  I momentarily see the Windows XP logo on the screen and then the computer shuts down and restarts.  I can access the recovery mode, but I need to keep some of the files on the computer (i.e. photos, tax documents, etc.)  The recovery mode tells me that it will wipe out all of the documents that are one there except for what the mfg put on the hard drive.