Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer is infected by adware, probably spyware  (Read 3166 times)

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

computer is infected by adware, probably spyware
    « on: August 12, 2009, 08:16:42 PM »
    I have a DELL that is running win XP.  About two days ago, I started noticing popups stating that my computer is infected.  And I kept seeing that pop up every so often. 

I went into safe mode to do a system restore, but there were no restore points.  I then put in a disk with several antivirus antispyware anti adware programs, but I couldnt start any of the installation procedures, the computer wouldnt respond when I double clicked on the applications.

I already did remove many of the programs through the add/remove programs that I didnt recognize.  But the pop ups still persist.  How do I get rid of this pesky stuff

My alternate  method which is a last resort is to back up the files from the hard drive and then reinstall the OS, but there might be some important files I may forget, and besides I might backup the malware unknowingly and then reinfect the computer.

So please help.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: computer is infected by adware, probably spyware
    « Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 08:28:37 PM »
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 09:01:31 PM »
      patio:  I looked at the link you sent.  But the problem is I cannot download and/or install anything, the malware on my system doesnt let anything get installed. 

So is there an alternative way to reset the computer as in scan each document before backing it, and then reloading the operating system and transferring stuff back.  Or is there an easier way?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 09:04:45 PM »
      Since you have access to a machine because you are posting i would suggest DLoading all the tools specified onto a flash drive and installing/running them on the infected machine in safemode...

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 09:18:06 PM »
        patio:  I have all the programs on a disk.  I did start the infected machine in safe mode and I inserted the disk in the machine.  It could read the disk, but when I tried the usual means of installing the software from the disk by double clicking, nothing happened.  The  cursor became an hourglass for a split second then went back to becoming an arrow, but that was it, no installation procedure started.  So probably the same thing will happen even if I have the programs on a flash drive.

Other ideas?

bobgar34

Intermediate

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 09:42:17 PM »
        download dr web cure it, no need to install just run it !  http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 09:48:50 PM »
          I was thinking, if I do decide to transfer the file via a data cable from the infected hard drive to my laptop, woulld I need to scan the files before I transfer them or after I transfer them.  

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 10:00:53 PM »
          B4.

bobgar34

Intermediate

• Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 10:11:34 PM »
          you could also run the dr.web live cd, here is the link   http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd/

Tranc3r

Intermediate
            « Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 01:51:16 AM »
            Next time you have a virus or infection of any sort, please go to the correct section of the forums so the experts in that section can aid you accordingly.
            Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa!!

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 08:21:58 AM »
              bobgar:

I looked at the drweb link you sent.  As long as it can start automatically and not have to be installed, itll work, cause Im unable to install anything on the computer, the malware wont let me. 

When I went to the download link, it gives me the parent directory structure with several links .  which of those links do i need to download and burn onto cd before insert the cd into the infected computer?

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 08:37:26 AM »
                Oh and if I want to disinfect files before I transfer tthem to another disk, will drweb scan and disinfect the files