Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux and internet gaming  (Read 3943 times)

frog

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Linux and internet gaming
    « on: August 08, 2009, 09:16:38 PM »
    Here in the Philippines, on-line gaming is very popular with the younger people at the internet cafes. I am considering buying an established internet cafe. I will have one or two pc's with Windows, but the rest I plan on using Linux. My question is are there any limits or restrictions when using Linux for the various websites for on-line gaming? Since ole Bill Gates is cracking down on piracy, and the Philippine government is doing inspections at the internet cafes, which is an epedemic here, I can use Linux legally without buying a bunch of licenses for Windows. Only a couple of Windows PC's will be available in case someone thinks they need it. How about any plugins necessary for some websites for their gaming? All input is appreciated.

ThomasTheXPUser

Hopeful

• Remember me? :-)
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • ThomasTheXPUser
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Linux and internet gaming
    « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 09:58:54 AM »
    That shouldnt be a problem. I use Linux and Windows and play online games on both. I think the only thing you need is Adobe Flash. What distro are you planning to use?

BSOD image source : ToastyTech IE is evil page
    Can't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary code and those who do not.

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Linux and internet gaming
    « Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 04:22:45 PM »
    Here in the Philippines, on-line gaming is very popular with the younger people at the internet cafes. I am considering buying an established internet cafe. I will have one or two pc's with Windows, but the rest I plan on using Linux. My question is are there any limits or restrictions when using Linux for the various websites for on-line gaming? Since ole Bill Gates is cracking down on piracy, and the Philippine government is doing inspections at the internet cafes, which is an epedemic here, I can use Linux legally without buying a bunch of licenses for Windows. Only a couple of Windows PC's will be available in case someone thinks they need it. How about any plugins necessary for some websites for their gaming? All input is appreciated.

Just make sure that you go through the licences to make sure that they allow you to run it in an environment where you are making money off of the computers.  There may be the odd piece of software that won't allow it.  You can't be too safe when audits are the policy.
    Evil is an exact science.