Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network Cable Unplugged- Just put in new NIC  (Read 2581 times)

beyond

Network Cable Unplugged- Just put in new NIC
« on: September 02, 2009, 08:37:58 PM »
My internet would be fine for 10-15 minutes, then the pages would stop loading (This Page Cannot Be Displayed message), although when I checked network connections, the everything was apparantly "connected". I would not be able to get on the internet again until I restarted the computer, then I'd get another 15 minutes, and the process repeats.
So I browsed around here and found a person with a similar problem that turned out to be caused by a virus. I've scanned and everything (though have yet to put up logs), but nothing has shown up. I don't think that's the problem.
There is hardly any dust inside the computer, so I don't think that's the problem.

So finally, it was suggested that the NIC needed to be replaced (my computer is a Windows XP Dell from 2002, System 2). I have done that, but before I can find out if that fixed the problem, I need to actually at least get a connection! So my question is: why does the connection for the new card (D-Link DFE-530TX + PCI fast ethernet...) display "network cable is unplugged"? I have also a connection for Intel(R) Pro/100 VE Network, and this is apparantly "connected", but like before, I still can't get on the internet with this one.
I've tried disconnecting the Intel connection to get the D-link (the new card) on, but there is still "network cable is unplugged". How to I get it to connect? And what is Walk-On LAN (there is a cable for this for the card that I did not connect because I didn't see a place for it on the motherboard)? Could the WOL be the problem? I have no clue.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Network Cable Unplugged- Just put in new NIC
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 09:26:14 PM »
I would think it is a heat problem. Some NICs just get too hot.
Turn off the powr, open the case, cool down the chip on the NIC. A small bit of alcohol will do, put just on the chip, not the other components.Wwait a bit for the alcohol to evaporate. Turn ythe system on again and use a strop watch to time how long it takes. If cooling the NIC chip makes it better, you have an idea of what to do next.

midsail

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Network Cable Unplugged- Just put in new NIC
    « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 07:36:50 AM »
    Also check the power management setting in the NIC.