Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows nag message  (Read 3566 times)

henner

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows nag message
    « on: October 06, 2009, 08:50:12 AM »
    Whenever I open Outlook I receive a pop-up from Windows that my XP Pro is not genuine. When I follow their Learn More button it gets me to a site from where I can buy the "genuine" software. The thing is that I bought the genuine software only in March from Microsoft direct and have all the documents to prove it. When I contacted MS they sent me to another site that no longer refers to my software, or to my complaint, but wants me to accept terms of an agreement that does not serve any purpose whatsoever. However, I fear that by doing nothing they will not only continue nagging me, but may eventually do something that interfers with the software.
    Has anyone out there had a similar problem, and how did you deal with it?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Windows nag message
    « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 08:52:29 AM »
    Why would you NOT accept the terms of the agreement?

henner

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:24:40 AM »
      Thanks for your speedy reply.
      1. I have not the foggiest idea what the agreement could possibly achieve.
      2. To imply that I use non-genuine software and to lead me with it to a sales site, is most certainly not a straight approach and, naturally, makes me suspicious.
      3. MS's reply did not with one single word address the issue of "genuine" or "non-genuine" software; needless to say they didn't  find it necessary to apologize for their allegation.
      4. Why should I trust them? Only because they are MS?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 09:37:05 AM »
      Sounds like the software was never properly registered because you declined the terms of agreement...
      It's called a EULA and it is what gives you the legal rights to use the software.
      This is nothing new...been around for years.
      Of course you could hire an attorney at $150.00 an hour to read and interpret it for you but i suggest if you want to use it without being nagged then simply jump thru the hoops they require...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:40:42 AM »
      It also sounds to me as though you are making excuses for some reason. If indeed the software is legitimate and you don't want the nag, then you have to acknowledge the agreement. Period. If, on the other hand, there is some reason you are not revealing - well, it's up to you.

henner

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 09:55:12 AM »
        Hi Allen

they are not excuses but very valid reasons! Is MS too high and mighty to owe their paying customers perfectly reasonable explanations?

Quote from: Allan
        link=topic=93038.msg629267#msg629267 date=1254843642
        It also sounds to me as though you are making excuses for some reason. If indeed the software is legitimate and you don't want the nag, then you have to acknowledge the agreement. Period. If, on the other hand, there is some reason you are not revealing - well, it's up to you.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 10:01:21 AM »
        They unfortunately make the rules...
        And however i may agree with your assessment on how things are you have 2 clear choices:
        A) Agree to the Terms of Liscense and get rid of the nag screen...

or
        B) Search the web for a free open source alternative to the software you are using.

If it's just an e-mail app you are after i highly suggest ThunderBird as an alternative...from the fine people who gave us FireFox.

That being said i'm done here.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 10:40:21 AM »
        I agree with Patio. If you don't like the rules, play a different game.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 11:05:30 AM »
        when you start outlook something complains that your version of XP Pro is not legitimate? What is the exact wording? It's possible that this is actually not a popup from MS/Office at all,  but some form of Macro/VBScript outlook virus. (do you get the same popup with any other office application?)

The site MS redirected you too was probably one of their Anti-piracy sites. Standard procedure, I think.

But the thing is- I can see outlook- or another office application (does this occur with other office programs?) complaining about an illegitimate Office installation- but I really don't see them complaining about the OS itself. This makes me wonder if, in fact, this message is being generated by some sort of infection. (this tactic,. (claiming the  OS or application is illegitimate) is commonly used to trick people into buying a program or something similar (or maybe just to cause trouble for MS support staff).

So, let's get some details then:

What version of Office/Outlook? (2000,XP,2003,2007...)
        What  XP and Office service packs?
        Can you get the exact wording of this message?
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

henner

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 02:19:08 AM »
          The exact wording is: "This copy of Microsoft Office is not genuine. In 10 days Office applications will be marked as not genuine. Genuine Office helps guard against vulnerabilities that may exist in non-genuine copies. Click Learn More for online details and help identifying the best way to get genuine Microsoft Office." I receive it only in Outlook.
          When I clicked Learn More it got me to a sales site for Microsoft Office. Since I purchased my software (XP) from MS not so long ago, I eventually found my way to a support address and gave them the details of this purchase. Thereafter I received another email from MS leading me to a site that requested to accept (or not) terms of an agreement.
          Since patio made me aware of EULA this all seems to be perfectly legitimate, and you are probably right that this is one of MS' anti piracy activities. I am now going with a very fine comb through the agreement and perhaps will sign it.
          It still think it's bad taste that MS resorts to scare tactics, rather than just sending an email politely asking me to sign up.

when you start outlook something complains that your version of XP Pro is not legitimate? What is the exact wording? It's possible that this is actually not a popup from MS/Office at all,  but some form of Macro/VBScript outlook virus. (do you get the same popup with any other office application?)

The site MS redirected you too was probably one of their Anti-piracy sites. Standard procedure, I think.

But the thing is- I can see outlook- or another office application (does this occur with other office programs?) complaining about an illegitimate Office installation- but I really don't see them complaining about the OS itself. This makes me wonder if, in fact, this message is being generated by some sort of infection. (this tactic,. (claiming the  OS or application is illegitimate) is commonly used to trick people into buying a program or something similar (or maybe just to cause trouble for MS support staff).

So, let's get some details then:

What version of Office/Outlook? (2000,XP,2003,2007...)
          What  XP and Office service packs?
          Can you get the exact wording of this message?

henner

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 02:23:44 AM »
            They unfortunately make the rules...
            And however i may agree with your assessment on how things are you have 2 clear choices:
            A) Agree to the Terms of Liscense and get rid of the nag screen...

or
            B) Search the web for a free open source alternative to the software you are using.

If it's just an e-mail app you are after i highly suggest ThunderBird as an alternative...from the fine people who gave us FireFox.

That being said i'm done here.

Thanks patio, this is excellent advice. I didn't know of EULA and I check it out now. I still think about ThunderBird and will decide soon. Thanks again.