Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer CMOS battery... odd  (Read 3010 times)

RunsreyM

Topic Starter

Starter

Computer CMOS battery... odd
    « on: October 14, 2009, 07:19:44 PM »
    hi, I am having a problem figuring out the next step in troubleshooting my computer. While watching TV the thing starts doing the long loud "there's something wrong" beep. I go up and turn it off and check it out and start it back up. Well, at first it starts, but there's no vid and it just cycles itself before doing anything. So i undo all the power cables, check the power config, check the PCI-E slots, Check/change/clean all the ram and so forth and so on. So i start it back up with the same problem. So i unhook all other things that it can start normally without. Again, same problem, but the HDD is starting and spinning as normal.

Now i'm thinking it may be a power issue so i plug everything back in and ensure all power cables are routed correctly and see if everything is good and the HDD is still spinning up, and the drives are opening/closing perfectly. It's no longer cycling, but it is starting up with no bios beep or anything. just power on with no vid while on the 115 PS setting. On the 230 setting it's still cycling power.

So i get deeper and decide to check out the CMOS battery. I take it out and wait for about 5-10 sec and put it back in. Success! it works and i fix all the regular time/date settings and it works fine. So my first instinct is that the battery is going bad and i replace it with a known good one. Now with the new battery in it still does not work correctly. Everytime i want to start it up i have to remove-wait-and reinstall the CMOS battery to get a successful boot-up.

I'm thinking of either replacing the PS or the Mobo. Any help into this would be greatly appreciated. I've asked a few friends with degrees in computer science and they are as stumped as i am.

Thank you.

EEVIAC

Re: Computer CMOS battery... odd
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 01:19:47 AM »
    1. What is the make/model of the computer?

2. How old is the computer?

3. Are you using a video card or onboard video?

Quote from "Upgrading and Repairing PC's"

"If you plug the power supply into a 120 v outlet while it's set in the 230/240 setting, no damage will result, but the supply won't operate properly until you correct the setting. On the other hand, if you plug in to a 240 v outlet and have the switch set for 120 v, you can cause damage".

I'm not an expert on power supplies but I wouldn't argue with Scott Mueller  ;)  I'd leave the setting on 115 if you intend to use a 110/115 volt receptacle.
    « Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:40:30 AM by EEVIAC »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 06:20:51 AM »
    Sounds like there is a bad solder joint somewhere on that board or a capacitor failing ...it starts acting up as the board heats up.
    This can be hard to track down...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

RunsreyM

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 08:53:45 AM »
      It's a self built computer. Currently using the Asus P5K-V mobo. First built it a few years ago, but has been upgraded along the way. I am using a Nvidia 8800GTX ultra for video.

Got to the top tier of Asus Tech support and they think it's something to do with the ram on the mobo itself. I'm using Corsair 2x4gb of ram and they said that's a accepted ram for the board so no problems there. Also tried my old ram with no joy.

Good thing for Asus' good support so i'm RMA'ing the board to ASUS for free, but i decided to go and just get a new mobo anyway and use this one on a new project PC from old parts from this one.

Thank you for the help. New mobo should be here today. I will be back on here if it doesn't work still.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 03:12:21 PM »
      There's also the odd possibility you have a bad stik of RAM...
      DLoad MemTest and follow the info on creating a bootable CD...
      Boot to the CD and let the tests run at least 2 hours...they are repetitive so ignore that.
      Any errors at all and you have a bad stik(s) of RAM...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

RunsreyM

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 10:29:33 AM »
        I already checked the RAM, all the sticks are in good working order.

Changed the mobo and it works perfectly. The old mobo is going in for repairs.

Thank you for the advice.