Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't boot: please help!  (Read 6291 times)

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Computer won't boot: please help!
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
I'm just differentiating between "burnt" as in via heat and dead, that's all. If they're supposed to be professionals, I don't like their terminology.

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 11:08:13 AM »
    Allan, I guess what I'm asked is, what would make it die?  Did I use it too much? Did it get dusty and maybe heat up?  I really didnt do anything unusual expect plug in and unplug my modem. Could a modem "kill" a hard?  This is all so strange. I don't want to draw out this discussion because I know you have better things to do, I'm just trying to understand what goes on in these type of things. I've had wipe outs from viruses before, but nothing like this.

Thanks so much for all your help.

In peace
    Dr. D

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 11:12:05 AM »
    It's not because you used it too much :). Could be anything - it's just a (sensitive) piece of machinery. And no, the modem has nothing to do with it either. There is an outside chance that when you were inside the box you discharged some static electricity, but I've never heard of that damaging a hd from the ouside of the drive.

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 11:20:22 AM »
      OK Allan. Thanks for all the help along the way. We'll be going for the new disk soon. And maybe when they set it up they will also check inside and clean it, etc., and then maybe we'll be able to enslave that old HD!
        I have all my mail on gmail, so that's a big help. And most of my docs are also on my laptop.  There are a lot of things that were wiped out, but so be it!
        I will have to back up better and sooner in the future, though; I guess that's the lesson everyone learns from this kind of thing.

Thanks again for everything.
      In peace
      DrD

dinkerank

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 02:00:48 PM »
      Doesn't anyone know what this could be? Your help would be much appreciated. I asked in the virus section and they said it's a hardware problem and to keep the discussion here where the hardware experts are. So...

I'm all ears!

Thanks
      Dr. D
      I have an hp pavilion that will not boot, keyboard, mouse, monitor or the hard drive. All the fans are running but nothing else happens

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 03:40:35 PM »
      I have an hp pavilion that will not boot, keyboard, mouse, monitor or the hard drive. All the fans are running but nothing else happens

Welcome Aboard !

Start a new Topic providing as many details as you can so it can recieve the proper attention...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dvdreplication

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 12:30:45 AM »
        Better go for the vendor to solve your problem.