Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need help PLEASE  (Read 2477 times)

suzie1205

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I need help PLEASE
    « on: November 21, 2009, 02:34:23 PM »
    Hi. I am not really sure what my problem is. I keep getting this error: http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg70/luvmy734/computer%20problem/?action=view&current=PCproblems.jpg ... this happens everytime I try to go to a different website, or even if I'm on facebook and try to go to a new application and it happens everytime. I know it's not an Internet Explorer problem because I downloaded Mozilla Firefox and it happens with Firefox too.

The thing I don't understand about this is I get this error and then when I click on OK or the Red X it brings up a new page to yahoo which is my homepage ..... and I have to keep exiting of them and even though I get the error it always opens the page I want. I hope I have explained this well enough for someone to understand. I really appreciate any help or suggestions that anyone can give me.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: I need help PLEASE
    « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 02:35:53 PM »
    What is the error message please (I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't click on links)?

suzie1205

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 02:41:45 PM »
      The error message says :     Cannot find
                                                   Then in this space there is a whole bunch of symbols, numbers and letters (nothing that makes any sense)
                                     Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 02:45:35 PM »
      1) What is different between the last time things worked properly and the first time they did not (new hw, sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) May I assume you use a good AV with current definitions? If so, have you scanned your system with it? If not, do so.

3) Have you scanned your system with MalwareBytes? If not, do so.

suzie1205

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 02:46:37 PM »
        Here is a pic of the problem

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 02:50:58 PM »
        1) What is different between the last time things worked properly and the first time they did not (new hw, sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) May I assume you use a good AV with current definitions? If so, have you scanned your system with it? If not, do so.

3) Have you scanned your system with MalwareBytes? If not, do so.

suzie1205

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 02:56:14 PM »
          I have AVG and also did a scan at Trend Micro, and I have spyware doctor.

The computer is an older borrowed from my niece,  when I was trying to set up AGV it wouldn't allow it because Nortons antivirus was on the computer so I called her and she told me to just go to add / remove and get rid of Nortons so that I could install AGV. I don't know if there was something in the virus vault of Nortons that shouldn't have been deleted. I tried doing a systems restore after I deleted Nortons , but it didn't work.  I went back into systems restore and tried to go back farther but it won't let me ... I don't know if its because the computer has not been used for at least 6 months.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 03:11:31 PM »
          I'm not sure why you switched from Norton AV to AVG, but that's not a big deal. But I'm really not sure why you tried using system restore. But okay, that's already done.

I'm also not sure I completely understand the problem. You get that message whenever you try to navigate to a new url, is that right? And eventually you CAN get to the url - is that also right? If not, please correct me. So you ARE online, but navigating from one site to another brings up that error - no matter what browser you use - yes?

suzie1205

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 03:49:25 PM »
            my problem has been solved ... I think it was a bad add-on ? I was on earlier and it did it ever time I tried to go to a new url.

I went to facebook and went to some of my games and it wasn't doing it any more.

The only thing that is different from this morning when it was doing all the time ... is that my granddaughter wanted to play on PBS Kids and I had to install an add-on for her to play and now I am not getting the error

Now the funny part is that my sister walked me through checking the add-ons last night and we couldn't find any problem.  GRRR computers.

To answer your questions about switching AV's Nortons was expired and I have the Free version of AVG ... and I thought that if I did a systems restore it would put back what ever it messed up when I deleted nortons

Man I hope this makes sense.

Any how Thanks so much for trying to help me

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 03:53:57 PM »
            I think although the issue may have gone away for now that you are still infected...
            Visit our Virus and Malware section and follow the guide for posting your logs...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

suzie1205

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 03:54:48 PM »
              Ok Thanks