Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Router needs to be rebooted before internet works...  (Read 2336 times)

Kiel

Topic Starter

Router needs to be rebooted before internet works...
    « on: November 29, 2009, 01:53:20 AM »
    Hi guys! Firstly let me say what a great community this is, and I look forward to sicking around.

Okay so before the problem occurs again I better type this out.

I'm sitting in my kitchen on my brand new well equipped HP laptop running XP Pro. The internet is; as far as I'm aware, still working (soon find out I guess).

My setup is as follows.

I have a main computer running XP Pro in my bedroom connected through USB to a Speedstream ADSL modem, which is connected to the phone line beside the computer. Running from the Speedstream up into my roof is an ethernet cable. It comes out in the kitchen/common area and is plugged into the DLink Wireless Router I bought from *censored* Smith yesterday.

The main computer is running the internet just fine through my ISP Telstra Bigpond. While installing the router, I had a lot of problems with the packaged software (on CD) so I eventually just said screw it and set it up via logging into 192.168.0.1. Success!

Now, the signal between my laptop and the router is "Excellent" and stays connected wherever I am in or around my house. As far as laptop-router connectivity goes, the two are a great pair. Works really well from what I can tell.

After surfing the internet for between 5 and 30 minutes though, it doesn't work. I've gotten into a routine of logging into 192, clicking reboot router, manually disconnecting from the router in Network Settings. After the reboot I manually connect and, though sometimes it takes a couple of tries, the internet works fine again.

While it's actually working, the speeds are really really good. So I'm puzzled!

Anyone have any ideas? Really really look forward to your responses, and please excuse any typos as I still haven't quite gotten used to the laptop keyboard.

Thank you!

//Kiel