Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: weird font on websites via Firefox  (Read 3530 times)

dreborn

Topic Starter

Starter

weird font on websites via Firefox
    « on: December 07, 2009, 10:23:25 PM »
    i purchased some fonts from myfonts and it seems like it overrwrote my helvetica or i accidentally deleted it.

you can check out a screen shot here: http://img11.imageshack.us/i/googleapps.jpg/

not sure why it's not defaulting back to arial. i have all the helvetica fonts installed since i purchased them for illustrator but i don't have just normal windows Helvetica. not sure how it was overwritten but it is.

i have tried to even purchase regular helvetica but it doesn't seem to be for sale. always weird variations like Helvetica LT or something like that.

my default font is times new roman which shows up fine.

i've analyzed the CSS for that web page and helvetica is the only font i don't have installed. it should just go to arial but i dunno.

i have it set to firefox to ignore my font settings and use what the webpage suggest which has always worked for me. i rather see what the webpage developer wants me to see than just the fonts i pick

any ideas?

PS. i am on win7 using FF. fonts look fine in IE.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: weird font on websites via Firefox
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 10:31:04 PM »
    Windows 2000/XP use Tahoma, Windows Vista/7 use Segoe UI, and earlier versions use MS Sans Serif; Helvetica has not been a preinstalled font since Windows 3.0, actually.

On to the issue though; it would appear that the font selected by the web page is using the wrong encoding; only thing I can suggest is to try running "sfc /scannow" in an administrator command prompt.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

dreborn

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:53:39 PM »
      yep should have mentioned that i already have run scannow...didn't find or fix anything

dreborn

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:23:41 AM »
        really annoying...wish i knew how to fix it besides reinstalling windows

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:44:28 AM »
        Perhaps this will help: http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/fonts/f/helvetica_where.htm.  I'm sure you can find a source from which to download it, although it may not be free.

dreborn

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 11:49:40 AM »
          yep saw that, but i guess my main problem is that the version of helvetica i need comes standard with windows/office.  helvetica still shows up in my font list in word but when i select it, it automatically switches to another font.

i actually wouldn't mind purchasing helvetica but all the helvetica fonts for purchase i already own...no one seems to sell the normal "windows/office" standard Helvetica

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 07:35:38 AM »
          Helvetica does not come with any version of Windows Or Office that is in common use today- (at least, I don't have it on any of my PC's or virtual Machines)

I would try going to your fonts folder and deleting any helvetica font there; then see if you can view these pages that use it, it should use Arial instead.

Arial, for all intents and purposes, is the same font as helvetica.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.