Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer shuts itself down  (Read 2583 times)

jshelton2010

Topic Starter

Computer shuts itself down
    « on: January 17, 2010, 06:37:53 AM »
    Hello there

I'm currently having a bit of a problem with my wife's PC. It seems to have developed an interment fault where the machine will switch itself off without warning. This can happen while loading windows, or while she is acutally in windows working on her PC.

I have been in the CMOS and have loaded the 'fail safe' configuration, which seemed to work for a while. I've also run a full diagnostic on the HDD, which came up clean. I've also installed a program called 'speed fan' which i've been able to monitor the temperature of the pc and the fan speed, and noted that the PC just shuts down when it feels like it.

Has anyone else out there experienced this fault, and if so, do you have any suggestions on what I can try, before I consider putting an axe through the bloody thing??  >:(

any thoughts (no matter how imaginative) would be beneficial right now.

Thank you

James

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer shuts itself down
    « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 06:47:36 AM »
    Boot to safe mode and see if the same thing happens. I'm guessing a faulty power supply though.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 06:55:30 AM »
    What kind of temps is speedfan reporting ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jshelton2010

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 06:58:00 AM »
      well that is the thing - the temps when it decides to shut down are not consistient. Some times they are into the high 60s/low 70s, but then I've seen it shut down at 43 degrees....

aussie11

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 07:05:01 AM »
        Hi
        I had a similar thing on an old laptop seemed just like an overheat problem.
        As a last resort I reinstalled the o/s and it was O.K afterwards, never did work out why.

The big danger is it shuts down half way through the install.

furious_22

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 10:43:03 PM »
          use your hard drive on other unit....if it's run properly,one of your hardware has a problem maybe its your RAM or your CPU

bahala2142

Starter

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 11:53:31 PM »
            why dont u use safe mode 2 bring back the good working on the computer on the past month or past days....