Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Broswer Failure - Please Help!  (Read 2958 times)

btimm

Internet Broswer Failure - Please Help!
« on: January 24, 2010, 03:31:14 PM »
I am having problems with getting an internet browser to work on my desktop (writing this from my laptop).  It is a Dell using Wondows XP.  I was running IE8 and now when I try to open it, it says it is connecting, but the screen is white and nothing ever comes up now.  I tried downloading Firefox to my laptop, putting the install file on a flash drive, and putting it on my desktop.  I installed it and it won't even open when I double click on the icon.  I go to the task manager and Firefox isn't listed as something that is running, it isn't listed at all.  Some things worth noting:

• I ran Malware Bytes and one item came up in the search and I deleted it - no help.
  • I use Webroot for virus protection - I did a sweep and nothing came up.
  • I know I have internet, because IM clients function.
  • I added some DWORDS to my registry per advice on a google search that did not work.  I have since did a system resore to 2 days ago, so those DWORDS are now gone.
  • I tried running without add-ons per another suggestion I found, it did not work.
  • I tried asking the computer nicely to work properly, that did not work either, go figure.

If anyone can please help me, I would be beyond grateful.  Thanks ahead of time.

WyattSoft

Beginner

Re: Internet Broswer Failure - Please Help!
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 02:10:47 PM »
    Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

Type in (Without quotes) "ping www.google.com"

What is displayed after?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Internet Broswer Failure - Please Help!
    « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 02:27:36 PM »
    In spite of our malware scans I'd suggest going to the malware section of this forum and following the instructions in the announcement at the top of that page. Let's be 100% sure before we rule it out.