Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: eMachines company sucks  (Read 4272 times)

EEVIAC

eMachines company sucks
« on: January 17, 2010, 11:13:02 PM »
Here is a recent conversation between eMachines tech. support and myself..

My initial question:

The license key on back of the computer has been partially torn off and I cannot see the Windows Vista license key.  Thus, if I want to reinstall the Operating system I will not be able to unless I recover the license key.

Response by tech:

Thank you for contacting eMachines. I'll be happy to assist you with this issue.

After verifying serial number XCC7320030557 we see that your product is out of warranty.

Having reviewed your email, I understand that you are having issues with the product key.

Dan, please be informed that the operating system that comes with your product is an OEM version and does not need product key if you are trying to reinstall it using the partition or RCD purchased from us.

There would be a data loss if you are doing recovery. So please take back up of your data before you do a recovery. To take a back up, you can contact Answers by Acer at 1-800-237-6483 which is a paid support or else you can take the system to any local store nearby.

For further clarifications please feel free to visit our web site http://emachines.com/
Thank you for contacting eMachines,
Have a great day!

Respectfully,
eMachines Online Technical Support

My reply:

What you are saying about the operating system product key does not make sense.  I just reinstalled the operating system using the disc that came with the computer and it is requesting that the product key be typed in for Windows activation.  When I right-click on "Computer" and select "properties", it says that I have 30 days to activate Windows.  This cannot be done without the original OEM product key that came stamped on back on this (T5088) computer.  So if eMachines has that Product key on record I would appreciate it if they could send me a copy of it.

eMachines reply:

Thank you for contacting eMachines. I’ll be happy to assist you with product issue.

As per our record your system is out of warranty.

Dan, your system came with OEM version of operating system. You do not need any product key to install the OEM version of operating system. You do not need the product key if you are using recovery disc provided by us.

If you need further support concerning this issue, We do offer a phone-based support options for Out of Warranty products that also covers "How Do I" questions as well.

"Answers by eMachines" is a convenient and affordable fee based technical support service that is great for answering "how to" questions or technical issues once the product warranty has expired. With your purchase of the service you would have instant access to our Highly Trained agents.

You may call 1.866-621-2237. However, it's a fee based support. Calling cards are available for 30 minutes ( $59.99 ), 90 minutes ( $129.99 ), or 15 issues ( $199.99 ) and the validity will be 1 year.

Another option is that you can approach a local technician.

For further clarifications please feel free to visit our web site http://www.emachines.com

Thank you for contacting eMachines,

Have a great day!

Respectfully,
eMachines Online Technical Support

It's fairly evident that they don't want to help me.  Essentially what they're saying is that, if I want my product key back I'm going to have to pay money.

Warranty or no warranty... what a crock of sh##

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 12:01:27 AM by EEVIAC »

Salmon Trout

Re: eMachines company sucks
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 12:34:22 AM »
That's very good... but you could have copied and pasted it from a web forum...  ;)

EEVIAC

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:44:02 AM »
but you could have copied and pasted it from a web forum...  ;)

Why would someone copy and paste something like this from another forum and say it is there own story?   I assure you, I have better things to do than to spread rumors and lies..

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 12:50:18 AM »
Why would someone copy and paste something like this from another forum and make up a story like this?   I assure you, I have better things to do than to spread rumors and lies..

What he means is, your experience is not uncommon. probably others have gone through the same crap.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

EEVIAC

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:51:36 AM »
Oh, sorry trout     ;)

EEVIAC

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 12:55:51 AM »
The truth is, only the last character of the product key is missing.  The second to the last character is partially visible... It is either an "X", or a "Y"...

I could try substituting one of those two characters for the second to the last characters and try every other possible character for the last character  ;D

This would probably take quite some time 

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 12:57:59 AM »
I mean, it would be good for posting on a forum if I ever need to convince them that I "really did" have a serial number at one time... Having said that, I was thinking about getting an E-machines system recently, (a good price in Staples) but a web search turned up loads and loads of complaints about their customer service.

I believe there's something you can type into Google that brings up loads and loads of valid Windows product keys...

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 12:59:27 AM »
The truth is, only the last character of the product key is missing. 

Google for the part of the product key that you have.

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 01:06:21 AM »
I don't understand why they tell you to contacts Answers by Acer or Answers by eMachines. Why not tell you to call Microsoft and get a new key? Certainly cheaper than their fee based "support" option.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 01:13:01 AM »
I don't understand why they tell you to contacts Answers by Acer or Answers by eMachines. Why not tell you to call Microsoft and get a new key? Certainly cheaper than their fee based "support" option.

Maybe Microsoft won't support key requests if the OS was bought preinstalled? It certainly sounds worth a try though.

EEVIAC

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 01:39:01 AM »
Having said that, I was thinking about getting an E-machines system recently, (a good price in Staples) but a web search turned up loads and loads of complaints about their customer service.

As Patio once said, "eMachines are like BIC lighters" when something goes wrong you just throw them away  :D

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 06:58:10 AM »
MS will probably issue you a new key faster than eMachines...

Call them...they're not quite the ogres they are made out to be.

I had to chuckle that you remembered that quote... ;D
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "