Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help needed creating a program that prompts for file input and reads it  (Read 2961 times)

ebowleg

I need help with this program i am creating. It is suppose to prompt the user for the name of file to be read. Afterward it is suppose to read the data within the fileand output the record number of the symbol found in the file.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Help needed creating a program that prompts for file input and reads it
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 02:17:38 PM »
Welcome to the computer Hope forum.
Before a definite answer can be provided, some more detail would be needed. We see you are a beginner. You mentioned a record number. This could lead to the conclusion that you are using some type of database manager. Is that true? And what kind of file are you trying to read?

With the Windows operating system the only built-in language that would be suitable would be what is called VBScript. Are you familiar with this?
Please let us know if you're trying to use any programming language and if you are trying to use a database manager, such as Microsoft Access.

Steve_IT_Dude

Greenhorn
    Re: Help needed creating a program that prompts for file input and reads it
    « Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 03:12:52 AM »
    Hi,
    I agree with Geek-9pm.

There are numerous software development programing languages and you need to provide the exact requirements  so we can recommend a programming solution for you.
    I work as a software developer so hopefully I (and the other IT experts in the forum) can give you some free advise to solve your problem.
    Regards
    Steve

free-pchelp