Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing new DVD-rom into older 486 running DOS 6.22  (Read 4501 times)

gregmullins

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Installing new DVD-rom into older 486 running DOS 6.22
    « on: February 12, 2010, 10:00:52 PM »
    Hello!

I am looking to put an internal IDE CD-ROM drive into an older 486 system that uses DOS 6.22 for its operating system.  As I can't seem to find just a CD-ROM drive, all I see are DVD-ROM drives...which I assume will handle the CD's just fine.  My question is...will today's drives work in an older computer?  Are there still DOS drivers out there to allow something like your Model #iHDP118-08 to operate correctly as an optical drive in DOS 6.22?

This older PC is connected to a system that requires it to run a proprietary program to run the system...and currently the user loads jobs into the system via the 3'5" floppy drive - but as our jobs are getting bigger than 1.44mb, there is a need to install a CD-ROM to be able to bring over larger jobs to the PC. 

Any help or insight to this would be greatly appreciated!
    Greg Mullins
    __________ or email...thanks!

Phone # edited out.
    « Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 10:23:03 AM by patio »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Installing new DVD-rom into older 486 running DOS 6.22
    « Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 11:09:29 PM »
    Yes, you should be looked into one of the newer drives and use it in your machine. Everybody is now selling the combination CD/DVD drives. These drives have two modes of operation. When you stick a CD drive disk in it, it switches to the CD-ROM mode.
    In MS-DOS you can use the configuration files that are found on the Windows 98 boot floppy. That floppy contains some specific files that are needed for the to read a CD-ROM drive.
    Those drivers have no provision for a DVD. But, as stated above, when you put a CD disc in the drive it becomes a CD-ROM.
    Because this is a business application, you may want to directly consult with a reputable vendor that will spend some time with you. They may be able to tell you whether or not you're going to have some trouble with the newer drives. My gut feeling is that the major makers are very careful about what they put on the market. But some of the newer upstart companies put out cheap drives with unproven firmware and sometimes these things do not respond well and cause trouble.  Most of the trouble I have had with CD or DVD drives is with those drives that are supposed to have extra features or special things that don't seem to work quite right. In particular, the fportable external DVD CD drives tend to be fussy.
    May I suggest you choose a vendor that haa customer support. If you get a drives that don't work, and holds one they recommended, they will be more inclined to let you send it back and exchange it for a more reliable CD-ROM drive.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Installing new DVD-rom into older 486 running DOS 6.22
    « Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:23:50 AM »
    Triple Post.
    Please see your other Topic for replies.

Topic Closed.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "