Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is there anyway to move exisitng files out of one level of folders and up?  (Read 2580 times)

Chanimal

Topic Starter

HELP!!

I have this directory that I use to store all my media for itunes, I call is the (Music)M:

In there, itunes has organized it through Artist\Album\Title.mp3

And of course, there are lots of artists, and a lot of albums within an artist's folder

So I would have many of this:

M:\Artist#1\AlbumA\Title_a.mp3
    M:\Artist#1\AlbumB\Title_b.mp3
    M:\Artist#2\AlbumC\Title_c.mp3

Lots and lots of them.....

I want to do a wholesale clean up of each Title.mp3's naming structure as well as ID3 tags

To begin this, I want to extract every .mp3 file out of each and every folders in all the levels of filing up to the root M:\ level.

Does anyone know if there is a freeware that does this, if not, anyone got a script they had used before to perform such mass organizing moves?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Is there anyway to move exisitng files out of one level of folders and up?
    « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 12:48:34 AM »
    Instead of a direct answer, here is an observation.

Many music lovers use their computer to help organize libraries of their favorite albums. There are a number of programs that help organize my music library in a reasonable, logical and useful manner.
    The Windows operating system by itself is a very poor database system. Many of the features that appear to be available either do not work right, or users find it too hard to get it to work the way they want to. That is not to say that Windows is a bad operating system, that is not the point here. Many companies offer music library programs because there is a real need for such. If users could easily organize everything with just the file structure in Windows, there would be no need for these other programs.
    By tacking on a search engine such as Google, one can find many different kinds of music library organizer's. The well known iTunes from Apple has many competitors. Even the Windows media player tries to do the same thing. Now if Microsoft has put that feature into Windows media player it becomes obvious that the operating system by itself does not do such a good job of organizing music.
    Now having said that, may I kindly suggest that you do a Google search on key words such as music library, MP3 organizers, and alternatives to iTunes and Win Amp.

Here are two I just found:

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/08/10-alternatives-to-itunes-for-managing-your-ipod/

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12519_7-10104294-49.html