Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What do I set my file type as   help  (Read 13168 times)

snightwolfred

What do I set my file type as   help
« on: June 11, 2004, 10:41:05 PM »
hello i just changed my file  system not on pourpose to NTFS  and i think my files did'nt go along for the ride. under file options it asks file extention and file type for about 30 icons half of them URL.           Gateway 2000   XP  windows                  that is just the tip of the iceberg my system recently crashed and i deleated all of my files i reinstalled xp but somthing was still wrong ,  i  or should i say something set my file system to ntfs and i didnt figure that out for awhile ny system kept crashing and i kept reinstalling xp right now and probebly from the beginning i think my hard drive is not being acessed by any other part of my comp. from what i gather my ram has takin over all systems
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 10:58:37 PM by snightwolfred »

MalikTous

Re: What do I set my file type as   help
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 09:15:29 PM »
Try checking the case for dust and dirt. If the CPU heatsink is full of dust, the BIOS may be shutting down on overheat.

Clean the MB, cards, and CPU cooler with a 25mm long-bristle paintbrush and a small vacuum cleaner. Disassemble the (unplugged!) power supply and clean it out as well, and clean all the fans well. The dust I have seen in some former problem systems is atrocious.

While you are cleaning the fans, insure that they spin freely. Replace any that seem stiff. (You can often free them up by removing the sticker and bearing seal cap, and adding some 3 in 1 or Marvel Mystery oil, but sometimes a stiff fan has already wiped its bearings and will get noisy and stiff again quickly.)

if cleaning removes a lot of dust, this may reduce your lockup/restart problems.