Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My laptop just keeps on turning on and then off...  (Read 2860 times)

vickie2023

Topic Starter

Rookie

My laptop just keeps on turning on and then off...
    « on: February 14, 2010, 12:37:46 AM »
    I have a Compaq laptop. It just keeps on turning on and off. I don't even touch it. If I hold the plug that connects to the laptop with pressure without letting go, it will stay on. What's going on?

jkolak

Hopeful
      Re: My laptop just keeps on turning on and then off...
      « Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 04:24:21 PM »
      Sounds like the power cord or connector has developed a break, or the jack inside on the motherboard. If it's on the power cord, it can be repaired or replaced much easier than taking apart the laptop.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 07:07:39 PM »
      Did you say it would not come up  in safe mode?
      Well,  can you get into BIOS?
      Does it boot from a floppy?

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:11:22 PM »
      Could also be something with a battery fault. Why: You clearly said when u dont hold the plug in the wall tightly it will not stay on. That means its faulting the connection, causing it that when u unplug it the battery refuses to work, or the cord is bad.

Can you boot it up without it plugged in? If not, its definetly a battery fault. Replace the battery imediatly as it could be leaking acid inside of the computer, and if it is, it will eat away at the inside of your computer and your screwed.

(No offense, don't warn me mods D:)

vickie2023

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 02:19:43 AM »
         How do I do these things?
        Did you say it would not come up  in safe mode?
        Well,  can you get into BIOS?
        Does it boot from a floppy?
         How do I replace the battery?

jkolak

Hopeful
          « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 03:17:39 AM »
          Can you boot it up without it plugged in? If not, its definetly a battery fault. Replace the battery imediatly as it could be leaking acid inside of the computer, and if it is, it will eat away at the inside of your computer and your screwed.

At this point I don't think being able to run off battery power is a priority.

The OP came with a problem in not being able to run off AC wall power due to a bad connection at the laptop, not the wall outlet. The first priority is to get the cord or jack repaired so that the laptop will run off AC power.

While their have been some reports of some dangerous batteries, this is not common. I don't think there is any reason to panic about this at this point. If the laptop is going to the shop to check the AC power, the technician can open the battery compartment to check out the battery too, if desired.

If you want to try this yourself, Vickie, just turn over the laptop and remove the battery cover from the backside. Take it out and see if you can see any leaking or corrosion on the battery.

The main thing now is to get your power cord or connector jack repaired so you can run off wall power.