Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Loss of computer after attempt at backup  (Read 18582 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

Loss of computer after attempt at backup
    « on: February 18, 2010, 08:55:49 AM »
    Sony Vaio desktop, XPpro SP2, I recently installed a program called "Paragon backup". This morning for the 1st time i chose to back up my computer with it.
      I created a "save backup location" (as suggested) on an external usb hdd (L). Advised location ready and able. Began to backup from the Paragon wizard. Error message occurred unable to complete back up (to what i believe was the created location). Indicated files are lost.
      Closed the program.Tried a second time from the beginning to backup. Same result.Shut down program again. At this point no programs or running on the computer.Tried to disengage external hdd from "safely remove hardware".Message to try again later.From "start" turned off the computer. Shut off external from switch on it.
      On restarting the computer get the following:
    1.single beep
    2.Sony logo on black screen.
    3.Dos page indicating equipment availability and status. (everything that should be there is) While open a cursor is flashing at the bottom of the page.
    4.Then changes to a black screen with a cursor flashing in the upper left corner of the screen. Normally when the computer was working properly this also occurred at this point but would quickly advance the screen to the windows page.
       Now it does not no matter how long i wait. All fans are working as they should. This is my principal computer and i would truly love to get it back. I can enter setup. The only thing i changed to see if it would make a difference was i changed the boot sequence from an optical drive to the primary hdd. No change. so i restored to system "defaults" saved and exited. No change.
      It is indeed ironic that on something i had promised to do long ago (backup) on the very 1st attempt i have now lost the use of the computer.
      I do not appear to be able to get into safe mode.
      I suspect this is going to be a long thread and will involve many more questions. I will try to answer as many as i can. Needless to say paragon is gone if i ever get this computer back. I do have the Xp pro on CD. No recovery CD if one is available. truenorth ??? :'(

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Loss of computer after attempt at backup
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 09:26:33 AM »
    WOW!
    First question, what is the name of the backup program and where idd you get it. At this point we might assume the program was corrupt from a download. But we could also guess that it was malware.

First recommendation, do not change anything until you are sure it is not MALWARE.

Do you have another computer that can make a bookable CD? You would use such a CD for doing diagnostics without changing anything on the Hard Drive.

I am not qualified to tell you how to do this.

We need a MALWARE EXPERT HERE!

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:46:52 AM »
      Geek_9pm, This is the program http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/system-backup-2010-special-edition/
      and that is the site i downloaded it from. You end up going to the "Paragon" site to complete the process and get the registration codes.
        While i do appreciate your comments re the "malware" possibility i do not believe that is the problem. I had the program on the computer for a couple of days after download/install before i ran it.
        It is my belief that this problem arose from the attempt at backing up the files to the usb external location (and from the error messages that ensued).
        On the computer (Sony) where this program was/is i have the latest version of Avast running. The computer did NOT crash it just cannot be restarted into windows after that shut down.
        Yes i do have additional computer resources should they become necessary. truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:57:35 AM »
      It certainly does not sound like malware and Giveaway of the Day is a reputable site.

I'd suggest you boot to the Recovery Console and do a "dir" command on c: drive. Let's see what's there. We can proceed from that point.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 11:06:47 AM »
        Allen, Thanks for coming on board. Just a small update before i address your suggestion. According to web info  "F8" is the access to safe mode. However to the point of wearing out a digit --no safe mode appears.
          Now to your suggestion. How do i do what you suggest when i cannot get beyond where i have stated. I cannot execute any commands to the computer. truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 11:27:06 AM »
        Don't thank me yet - let's see how much of a help I end up being.

The fact that F8 doesn't take you to advanced boot options is not a good sign, but let's move on.

You need to boot to the XP CD (the optical drive needs to be at the top of the boot order in bios) and then choose the FIRST repair option (press "R"). That will take you to the recovery console. Once you are at a command prompt either type dir (and press enter) or go to the root of the drive by typing cd \ (press enter) and then run the directory command. Let's see what's actually on the drive.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 11:40:41 AM »
          Ok will try that. An optical drive is current # 1 and was not having any problems with it before this so it should be still there. Will advise re results. But probably not today as i am also ripping a bathroom apart for a reno.truenorth

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 11:54:43 AM »
            Ok took a minute to try the "recovery".Cd xp pro sp2 ran. Instructed to "press any key" to start recovery. Ran through a fair number of installations on a multitude of hardware/software fixes. Then ended up on a blue screen with "windows setup" in the upper left corner and "setup is starting windows" on the lower task bar. That is where it still is after at least 5 minutes. No command options presented. truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 11:57:07 AM »
            I'm not sure what you are doing. Your first post said you have an XP CD, not a recovery CD. If indeed it is an actual XP CD you should be given the option right off the bat to repair your existing installation. If you do not see that, then the disc does not see XP installed.

1) DO NOT start the setup routine at this point
            2) If you cannot get to the Recovery Console with the XP CD you can download a recovery console .iso (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49552), burn the .iso to cd and boot to the RC that way
            3) Your other option, of course, is to slave the drive and see what's on it

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 08:40:46 AM »
              An additional notion to concider re this issue. I believe that the basis of this problem is " an interupted process". Now if that is so how do i resolve it?
                Would anything be lost/gained by temporarily removing the CMOS battery and reinstalling it? truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 09:06:15 AM »
              No. I do not see how resetting the bios would help. We want to make sure your files are still on c: drive. We can do that by either going to the RC or slaving the drive. And if the XP CD (it IS an XP CD, right?) does see the current installation you could always do a repair install. But please, one thing at a time - can you get to the recovery console?

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 10:19:18 AM »
                Yes Allen the disk i have/used is the XP pro CD. (not a recovery CD). However when it was inserted into the drive at boot the option to recover was presented by pressing a key (any i believe). Or something about if i wanted to use a 3rd party raid or SCSI drivers to press someother key. The options you stated never appeared.
                   That is because as you i believe are stating it is NOT a recovery CD. However the recover option was presented and that is what i chose.
                  OK i will NOT touch the battery. Yes i will try to make the recovery CD from another computer and will let you know the results.
                  I am really trying to avoid confusing the issue by giving unnecessary info but it is difficult to know what is relevant and what is not.
                  This computer (Sony) has 2 physical HDD (not counting the external). The 1st contains the O/S Win 98SE (C) and the 2ND contains the O/S XP pro (G). Hope that doesn't confuse things. On the (G) there are NTSF and Fat 32 partitions.truenorth
                P.S. While in order to get this computer functioning it may be absolutely necessary to "recover" drive "C". It is what is on drive "G + partitions" that is my main concern. That is where all my important stuff is.
                « Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:44:50 AM by truenorth »

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 10:58:33 AM »
                  Allen, RC.iso cd successfully created. Placed in Sony optical drive (the same drive that successfully recognized the Xp pro cd yesterday). Tried everything from touching no keys to a multitude of keys (individually) at boot and nothing would alter the outcome of the same black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
                  « Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
                  So are you saying it is not actually booting to the cd? When you boot you just get to the same black screen without seeing an option to go to the recovery console? If so, it sounds as though you are not actually booting to the cd. I know you're concerned and a little upset, but your posts are a little hard to follow right now.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 06:37:27 AM »
                    Allen, Actually i am not really upset (yet) as it is still a challenge to be overcome at this stage. Upset may come later.
                       Yes your assessment of the situation re the created "recovery CD " is correct.
                    truenorth